EKRN.exe causing internet to slow to a crawl

Over the last few days, I've been having a peculiar problem with my internet. every 2 or so hours, the internet will load so slow, that it basically stops responding for about 2 minutes. I ran a virus scan and found nothing, however after watching my resource monitor, i noticed that it seems to happen only when ekrn.exe starts sending data. The data amount is very low, only something around 20 kbps, but for whatever reason whenever it sends data, my internet basically stops. Any reason why this is happening? Why is ekrn.exe sending data anyways?

• Administrators

it seems to happen only when ekrn.exe starts sending data

Please clarify what you mean by "ekrn starts sending data". What kind of data? Do you have any logs or screen shots for clarification? Do you use a high speed (1/10 GB) connection?

Does switching to pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup make a difference? If possible, could you temporarily uninstall ESET Internet Security and install ESET NOD32 Antivirus and check if you can reproduce the issue with it?

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please clarify what you mean by "ekrn starts sending data". What kind of data? Do you have any logs or screen shots for clarification? Do you use a high speed (1/10 GB) connection?

Does switching to pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup make a difference? If possible, could you temporarily uninstall ESET Internet Security and install ESET NOD32 Antivirus and check if you can reproduce the issue with it?

Here's what it looks like in the resource monitor when it happens. I don't know what it is sending, but my internet always slows to a halt whenever this exe starts sending whatever it's sending. 

I went ahead and switched to the pre-release update, but it seemed to still happen. 

ekrn.png

On 5/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, esetuser12 said:

my internet always slows to a halt whenever this exe starts sending whatever it's sending. 

Eset frequently checks for and receives updates. While installing them, CPU is busy, which on weaker PCs results in slowing other activities. It also communicates with LiveGrid cloud, and might be blocking some unusual activities while waiting for LiveGrid reply? 

Edited by zamar27