What are these non-existent temp files "C:\Windows\Temp\NOD****.tmp"

JGTruff

I've been noticing a dramatic spike in CPU on a single core and have deduced this is from ESET. I ran ProcMon to find out more about what's happening and it appears to be "ekrn.exe" reading an INSANE amount of .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp\. All of the files look like this C:\Windows\Temp\NOD****.tmp  (NOD6BD1.tmp, NOD7627.tmp, etc, etc.) When I look at my temp folder, these files are nowhere to be seen.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Thank you.

• Administrators

Those are temporary files created when scanning archives, usually by the on-demand scanner since real-time protection doesn't scan inside archives. Are you positive that no on-demand scan is running?

In the Eset GUI, Advanced Setup -> Malware Scans section, check under Idle-State Scan section and verify that " Enable Idle-state scanning" option is not check marked. Note that the default ThreatSense setting for this option is to scan archives.

Thank you Marcos. I believe it is from on-demand scans actually. I do have archives switched off but self-extracting archives are on, are self-extracting archives also a cause of this?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, JGTruff said:

Thank you Marcos. I believe it is from on-demand scans actually. I do have archives switched off but self-extracting archives are on, are self-extracting archives also a cause of this?

Yes, sfx archives need to be unpacked too. Also runtime archives, such as UPX, are unpacked.