HIPS rule to allow selecting multiple files....!?!

orbitmsp

I want to deploy a rule to my entire ESET managed PCs to stop it from blocking my MSP management infrastructure. It's Manage Engine Desktop Central which has many functions to manage each aspect of the OS and each of those functions has a specific .exe as shown in the attachment. When there are almost 60 individual files to select and each time I have to manually enter the path to those files which are in multiple subfolders and it becomes a multi-hour long process due to the inability to browse for files like on client PCs ...it drives me nuts!! 

Is there a better way to select an application AND ALL executables within a certain path? Maybe using wildcards?? C:\Program Files (x86)\DesktopCentral_Agent\bin\"*"

Capture.PNG

• Administrators

Wildcards are not supported in file paths in HIPS rules. What rules did you create? By default no rules are needed at all and all files in the mentioned folder should be accessible and executable, ie. HIPS should not cause any issues with the application.

I will also add, what Filtering mode do you have the HIPS set at? If its set to Auto(default) or Smart mode, what @Marcos posted is applicable; the HIPS should not be blocking anything in the directory you posted.

If on the other hand the HIPS Filtering mode is set to Policy or Interactive mode, that's an entirely different issue.

Is it not possible to import a file (CSV or other format) to generate configurations?

If not, should it not be a considered feature if wildcard use is not implemented?

• Administrators

No, importing a list of applications in the HIPS rule editor is not supported and such feature has not been requested by users so far.

Normally a list of applications for a HIPS rule should not be long. We'd really like to learn more about your use case and what you want to achieve with HIPS.