Another AV to complement ESET

woodust

I have eset internet security  and this malware removal tool also. Do I need Super anti spyware?

untilited I.png

Edited by Marcos
Topic name changed

• Marcos changed the title to Another AV to complement ESET
  • Administrators

Basically you don't need any additional AV besides ESET. You could use another AV(s) only as second opinion scanners, ie. without real-time protection and other features requiring installation of drivers. Moreover, I'm personally very skeptical and suspicious about anything with "super" in the name.

• ESET Insiders
4 hours ago, woodust said:

Thanks.

If you use W10, you can enable Windows defender for scan periodically and/or sometimes scan with Malwarebyte free

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, aranud87 said:

If you use W10, you can enable Windows defender for scan periodically and/or sometimes scan with Malwarebyte free

Doesn't Windows Defender get disabled when Eset is installed? Maybe I could be wrong.

I do use Malwarebytes as I have a lifetime license (sadly discontinued now), but generally using another AV is not recommended, certainly one with real time detection. The issue is that both security programs are trying to do the same stuff and could cause conflicts. This in turn could help a virus slip past while the two are arguing with each other. 

Best way to think of it is like having two firewalls with both in interactive mode. You open a new program and both firewalls try to detect it and ask you what you want to do - this wouldn't be good as both are trying to ask you or block it at the same time

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, peteyt said:

Doesn't Windows Defender get disabled when Eset is installed? Maybe I could be wrong. 

You still get to set a scheduled scan or use it as on demand scanner but not as real time , indeed it does get disabled when ESET is installed in order to avoid conflicts.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Rami said:

You still get to set a scheduled scan or use it as on demand scanner but not as real time , indeed it does get disabled when ESET is installed in order to avoid conflicts.

Cheers for the clarification. Never use it so wasn't sure. 

11 hours ago, woodust said:

I have eset internet security  and this malware removal tool also. Do I need Super anti spyware?

I've used SAS in the past and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Regards,

Tom

15 hours ago, Rami said:

I use win 7. I could not find win. def. in the programs, ( may be this is where it gets deleted) but when I typed it in I found out that it currently scans my computer at a scheduled time.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, woodust said:

Eset did take over my firewall.

Yeah it will do that as you should never use two firewalls. Think it does take some rules or something from windows firewall but not sure never really used it 

5 hours ago, woodust said:

I use win 7. I could not find win. def. in the programs, ( may be this is where it gets deleted) but when I typed it in I found out that it currently scans my computer at a scheduled time.

A couple of points here to clarify.

On Win 7, Windows Defender only provides spyware protection; ref.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download .The default AV on Win 7 is Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). MSE is disabled by default when Eset installs. There is no way to run MSE in on-demand mode once it has been disabled. The reference to using WD as an on-demand scanner only applies to Win 8.1 & 10.