No ESMC update prompt

Current ESMC Help/About:

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.429.0)

I've not received an update notification yet to update ESMC to v7.0.72.2. I'm logged on as local Administrator; not a permissions issue. No Update Product command is available on the Help menu, as per https://help.eset.com/esmc_admin/70/en-US/update_product.html.

What is the correct procedure for me to use to update ESMC to v7.0.72.2?

Edited by JRV

• ESET Staff

There has been no update of main ESMC components between 7.0.72.0 and 7.0.72.2 and that is why you were not notified. In this release, only MDM component has been updated.

Thanks, for your reply, Martin. So going forward, when the RSS Feed on the Dashboard announces a new ESMC version, I should disregard it unless I get an update notification from ESMC.

That raises another question. How do I know I'm running 7.0.72.0? Nothing in ESMC Help/About reports that version number.

• ESET Staff
21 minutes ago, JRV said:

Thanks, for your reply, Martin. So going forward, when the RSS Feed on the Dashboard announces a new ESMC version, I should disregard it unless I get an update notification from ESMC.

That raises another question. How do I know I'm running 7.0.72.0? Nothing in ESMC Help/About reports that version number.

There is an documentation article https://support.eset.com/kb3690 that maps "bundle" version to version of specific components.

I hope @MichalJ can possibly affect content of release statements as announcement even on this forum does not mention what has actually changed in 7.0.72.2. There is no mention of affected components and changelog does not differentiates minor releases.

Martin, that's the most arcane way to determine a version number that I've seen in...well, maybe ever! What if I lose my ESET version number secret decoder ring?😨

Thanks!

• ESET Staff

Hello @JRV The most reliable method to determine the "outdated version" of any ESET component would be to look at the dashboard element called "installed applications", where you have various information. You have there the overall chart, showing you the age of components, and then you have their the "outdated versions", which can easily show you, if a new ESMC server has been released on not. This is the back channel, that is also triggering the new version notification.

Version numbering for those "package releases" is a long time challenge for us, as the components themselves have different lifecycle, and when we do change any of them, we need to repack the ISO and the AIO (all in one installer). We are working on a change to the live installer, that could prevent us from need to repack all the time, as it would automatically check for newer contents, and then we will be able to do announcements for individual components. But I do agree with @MartinK that we might improve the clarity, and include a section with "updated components" also in the RSS feed and in the blog posts here.