Intermittent ESET/EIS splash screen

It seems since EIS v12 was introduced, the ESET splash screen (at boot up) fails to appear about 35-45% of the time (and is progressively getting worse). Also, about 25% of those times, the ESET icon does not appear in my taskbar. Prior to v12, it was (maybe) only 25% of the time (no splash screen). I have tried un-enabling and re-enabling it several times but that seems to have no effect. I use a Win 7x64 machine and my ESET (EIS v12.1.34.0) / Win7 updates are current.

I realize this is a small potato, but it's something that is important to me.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace
corrected a %

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, TomFace said:

It seems since EIS v12 was introduced, the ESET splash screen (at boot up) fails to appear about 35-45% of the time (and is progressively getting worse). Also, about 25% of those times, the ESET icon does not appear in my taskbar. Prior to v12, it was (maybe) only 25% of the time (no splash screen). I have tried un-enabling and re-enabling it several times but that seems to have no effect. I use a Win 7x64 machine and my ESET (EIS v12.1.34.0) / Win7 updates are current.

I realize this is a small potato, but it's something that is important to me.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Tom

Hey Tom,

I've had a similar problem going back some time regarding the tray icon. I have the icon hidden by the system now. I gave up on the splash screen a long time ago and have it turned off.

I developed a more reliable method method to assure me that Eset is running using some simplified programming language.

I am on Win7 also maybe that's the issue.  Either way as you said it's small potatoes.

Regarding your Carlin quote, the forecast for tomorrow is: Decreasing darkness giving way to increasing light. I guarantee this forecast is 100% accurate.

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, TomFace said:

It seems since EIS v12 was introduced, the ESET splash screen (at boot up) fails to appear about 35-45% of the time (and is progressively getting worse).

@TomFaceIf you have to use a password to log into windows (depending on how quick you type) , the splash screen can load and disappear before you even hit the desktop.

@TomFace/ @SCR , did you both do an in product upgrade to v12

2 hours ago, cyberhash said:

@TomFaceIf you have to use a password to log into windows (depending on how quick you type) , the splash screen can load and disappear before you even hit the desktop.

Hello C#...always good to see you (so to speak). I did do an in-program update to v12, but had issues (see https://forum.eset.com/topic/18898-eis-password-protect/?do=findComment&comment=92324 ) so I has to use the uninstall tool a couple times and start from scratch.

I do not use a PW to log into Windows (I'm an only user and it's off until I boot up/not connected in any way) ... I watch very carefully at boot (my OCD is showing) as sometimes ESET does not fully load into Windows Security center correctly sometimes (maybe 2-5% of the time). Once that occurs, then I log into the Net.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

4 hours ago, SCR said:

Regarding your Carlin quote, the forecast for tomorrow is: Decreasing darkness giving way to increasing light. I guarantee this forecast is 100% accurate.

Here's another one (or two) for you SCR..."Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" ... and ... "I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it" ... both are from George.

Food for thought indeed.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

@TomFace Likewise mate , always nice to keep in touch :)

The reason i was asking about passwords on log on is that i have observed that the splash screen wont appear when you allow windows to sit on the lock screen "awaiting password" for any more than a few seconds(5-10 ish).

I assume that it's because ESSP is loading prior to even reaching the lock screen (to protect from boot, as you would expect) , and the splash screen is loading (behind the lock screen) and why "in my case" that if i don't input my password when i first reach the lock screen (pretty much immediately) that i don't get to see it.

I can replicate this either way 100% each time, put password in quickly and i see the splash screen or have a delay when inputting password on the lock screen and i don't get to see it.

It does however load without issue and sits loaded in the system tray properly (as expected). Neither do i have any issues with it registering with windows security centre or it remembering size or location of the GUI position on my desktop (or opening closing).
I'm on windows 10 x64 (for reference).

What you and @SCR have happening is a different kettle of fish entirely , especially if it's affecting it loading to the system tray and not registering with windows security centre.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, cyberhash said:

I did a in product update to the latest v12. I always do a clean install for major product updates ie v11 to v12. 

I don't use a password on Windows and have no other issues with EIS.

Because of the intermittent surfacing of this issue I believe it would be would be difficult at best to determine the cause.

As I recollect, it has been a while since I was using Win 7, Eset's splash screen was a bit irratic in its display.

Since I have been on Win 10, the splash screen in the last couple of Eset vers. has always appeared after Windows Security Center initializes at system boot time. It's display at sign-on time after prior sign-off is a bit irratic; sometimes it shows; sometimes not.

What @cyberhash stated is applicable especially on Win 7. That is in a slow boot initialization with absence of Windows Security Center, Eset has fully initialized prior to the desktop appearing. Hence the lack of the splash screen. 

Edited by itman

• 1 month later...