iTunes no longer syncing Outlook with my iPod Touch

Samoréen

Hi,

After installing ESET NOD32, iTunes now freezes while syncing my iPod Touch with Outlook. I have excluded all iTunes folders abd even disabled ESET while syncing but nothing helps.

Any clue ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

After installing ESET NOD32, iTunes now freezes while syncing my iPod Touch with Outlook. I have excluded all iTunes folders abd even disabled ESET while syncing but nothing helps.

Any clue ?

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the latest version of iTunes.

• Administrators

Does disabling ESET integration with MS Outlook or protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? What version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus and modules (see the About window) do you have installed?

Does disabling ESET integration with MS Outlook or protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference?

No. Integration with Outlook is already disabled because it generates email duplicates. I have tried to disable protocol filtering for Outlook only. Didn't help. Then I disabled it globally as well as System Integration. Didn't help either.

Does disabling ESET integration with MS Outlook or protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? What version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus and modules (see the About window) do you have installed?

Virus signature database: 9440 (20140218)

Rapid Response module: 3709 (20140218)

Update module: 1047 (20131023)

Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1419 (20140122)

Advanced heuristics module: 1147 (20140114)

Archive support module: 1190 (20140129)

Cleaner module: 1083 (20140212)

Anti-Stealth support module: 1057 (20131125)

ESET SysInspector module: 1240 (20131202)

Real-time file system protection module: 1006 (20110921)

Translation support module: 1145 (20131121)

HIPS support module: 1115 (20140206)

Internet protection module: 1102 (20140127)

Database module: 1046 (20131204)

Never mind. This was a bug in iTunes. I guess that an iTunes update has been installed at the same time I installed ESET. Just a coincidence, obviously.

Sorry for the trouble.

Never mind. This was a bug in iTunes. I guess that an iTunes update has been installed at the same time I installed ESET. Just a coincidence, obviously.

Sorry for the trouble.

I apologized too fast. ESET NOD32 is the culprit. It installed a very strange environment variable (ESET_OPTIONS) which value is a huge string of spaces. This is causing trouble to iTunes when syncing with Outlook. Removing this environment variable fixes the problem.

It already helped. I fixed the problem after reading your post (I just posted an answer to this thread about an hour ago). Without your findings, the problem would have never been fixed. Thanks a lot and greetings from Fontainebleau, France.

Hi everybody,

FYI

According to an ESET representative, the ESET_OPTIONS environment variable is not a bug :

it is not a buggy option, it's there on purpose and by removing it you deactivated one of the new protection enhancements. We were able to reproduce the issue in our environment and analyze it. Eventually it turned out to be a bug in iTunes which causes the issue. We have a workaround for the iTunes bug prepared for testing.