so now eset blocks old lic's

zfactor

spoke with support today since i have a stack of older boxed retail units bought up from places like newegg when they had them on sale (i used to buy around 150 or more at a time) and was told the keys are now invalid. i was told by eset they would never do that and there would be no worries buying them all they would never invalidate them. so beware of this, im tossing i guess about 40 units i have left because they will be of no good to me. and this will be a lot less i use it if i can do things that way. sad day imo.

Are you stating that the boxed Eset versions from newegg.com have invalid licenses?

How old are these licenses? I tried to find some definitive info on how long unused licenses are valid for, but couldn't find anything. Older forum postings state that as long as the purchased licensed version is still actively supported, the license should still be valid for that or any later Eset version.  

i was told 2015 and earlier today will be invalid by support. and yes these are actual SEALED disc boxed retail versions bought from newegg and an authorized distributor. they did replace one key for me today but i am not sure they will do that in the future. not a cool move though imo. the person i spoke with also said MANY people are not happy about it. i had a bunch of version 6 boxes from a large purchase i made (bought just under 300 of them as a closeout from an authorized distributor) and that was one today that came back invalid. i also have some family packs which now will i guess be no good as well as some other ones. if this is in fact true i think its really a bad move i mean there cant be that many of them left just let people use them up and then be done with them. so im hoping the person was wrong,

Edited by zfactor

5 minutes ago, zfactor said:

i was told 2015 and earlier today will be invalid by support.

That sounds about right for the Home versions. See this for end-of-life dates by product:

Home versions: https://support.eset.com/kb3678/?locale=en_EN

Business versions: https://support.eset.com/kb3592/

• Most Valued Members
24 minutes ago, katycomputersystems said:

As a practical matter, I am not sure how useful a EOL'd security product is for your clients. If I am reading the chart correctly, v6 is six years old and lost support two years ago.

Unless the user wanted to possibly use the license for the current version.

Eset doesn't license per a version so the license will work with future versions e.g. if you buy a version and a new version comes out a few months later you can update for free.

However I have no idea about old unused licenses

40 minutes ago, katycomputersystems said:

If I am reading the chart correctly, v6 is six years old and lost support two years ago.

If you're referring to Endpoint Antivirus and Security, v6 and 5.5 for that matter are still supported. So old unused licenses for those would still be valid; assuming business product licenses don't have a different policy. If the status column shows "End of Life" is when an old unused product license would no longer be valid. 

Edited by itman

I would not jump to conclusions prematurely. I would hope that someone from ESET would have some input on this. The last license I activated in Dec 2018 was a ESS 2014 license. Of course, I do not buy 300 licenses at a time. So there may be more to this story.

Regards,

Tom

27 minutes ago, TomFace said:

The last license I activated in Dec 2018 was a ESS 2014 license.

If you refer to the Home products link I posted, all ESS Premium versions are still under some degree of support status. Additionally, ESS 9 & 10 are still supported status-wise. When a version is marked "End of Life" status-wise is when an used license for same would no longer be valid.

Edited by itman

you can use any previous smart security to activate current internet security. so no im not installing old versions. and when offered to me at a great price i asked eset and they said the lic's would not expire so then why not. these are used for home clients not enterprise. they did issue a replacement lic today in the end but i hope they will do this for the rest as i said i bought with the knowledge from eset directly these would be able to be used till gone.

16 hours ago, itman said:

If you refer to the Home products link I posted, all ESS Premium versions are still under some degree of support status. Additionally, ESS 9 & 10 are still supported status-wise. When a version is marked "End of Life" status-wise is when an used license for same would no longer be valid.

As has been discussed in the Forum for many years, "you can always upgrade an old license for free" (or something like that) I would like to know ESET's position. I'm sitting on about 9 years of licenses...if I cannot use them (as I am a bit old:unsure:), I'll give them away for free!

ESET is that good ;) and I would not want to see them to go to waste.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

thats kind of what we do with them. at the price we paid for them (and as i said they are LEGIT COPIES STILL SEALED) i give them to clients who otherwise would not run an antivirus or who read that defender is terrible and like to turn it off etc. i would rather them run something like eset then nothing. and most will not run free because of the nagging from them. so i happily will include an eset lic in a basic service if they would like one but if eset will kill my lic's i can not do that any longer. imo its better to have it out there then kill them and toss them. MANY MANY times i get a call that goes like " hey i really liked that eset program or what its called (lol) and it asked me to renew so i went ahead and paid for it."  so then eset gets a renewal. i do not offer these to existing people only new clients to me. i will switch to something else if i loose these lic's and will not look for deals on eset anymore.  i just enjoy offering them to people knowing its a product i can trust.

25 minutes ago, zfactor said:

you can use any previous smart security to activate current internet security. so no im not installing old versions.

I assume you are referring to the non-premium version of Smart Security. As I posted previously, the only versions of it that are not "End of Life" are versions 9 & 10. Those both have EOL dates of 12/2019 and 12/2020 respectively. Therefore, unused licenses for those versions and only those versions are still valid.

Finally, it can be assumed that license validity is something governed by the in-country Eset valued added retailer. So it is very likely policies can and will vary by country.

Edited by itman

i understand that but these lic's worked up until this past week (friday to be exact). so what changed? and when support checked they said the lic was in fact valid, but it would not activate. and as i also said i was told the lic's would ALWAYS work and would simply activate a "comparable" product that is current at the time of use. i.e. older smart security > internet security. i asked like a dozen different people this in the past at eset and every one including the support person today said they would work. today he said this is something they JUST changed. which is why im wondering if he was correct or not.

Would like to also add: Would be really beneficial if ESET License Manager page can further improve where we can input existing licenses as like a vault so we can use it when the current license expires or even stack if that is possible.

Edited by miyagi

4 minutes ago, zfactor said:

i asked like a dozen different people this in the past at eset and every one including the support person today said they would work. today he said this is something they JUST changed. which is why im wondering if he was correct or not.

I would then make an inquiry to Eset corporate offices in Slovakia for a clarification.

• Administrators

i was told the lic's would ALWAYS work and would simply activate a "comparable" product that is current at the time of use

Since I have no information about Newegg licenses, I've asked colleagues from ESET, LLC in the US to comment on it.

Would be really beneficial if ESET License Manager page can further improve where we can input existing licenses

A license becomes active as of the date of purchase. We never supported start of license validity from the date of activation.

marcos just to note they are the carboard boxed ones with the plastic cd case with the sticker inside the plastic case that holds the disc. these are not the lic's newegg sells that are the ones where you get a card or are a downloadable lic just to clarify. i can take some pics if you would like.

8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

A license becomes active as of the date of purchase. We never supported start of license validity from the date of activation.

Let me clarify. When I buy ESET licenses from Newegg.com, I like to buy 2-3 years vs just 1 year. Would be nice if I can consolidate the 3 years into 1 existing license so the license will be valid for 3 years. I know Norton allows this via support chat and this makes it very convenient. Just a suggestion.

9 minutes ago, zfactor said:

i think he means he buys 3 x 1 year lic's or am i wrong

Correct. I bought 3 sets of 1 year license.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Since I have no information about Newegg licenses, I've asked colleagues from ESET, LLC in the US to comment on it.

marcos i was just notified by support. they said the activation has changed for keys prior to 2015 and they are in fact not able to activate those keys. however they will issue an equivalent replacement key for each one as needed. and they will still support those keys. so there you go to anyone who may have had this question. if you have a new older key that will not activate simply email or call support and they can issue a replacement key for a current equivalent product level.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

A license becomes active as of the date of purchase. We never supported start of license validity from the date of activation

I believe this is in reference to an online purchase from an Eset affiliated e-commerce web site. At that time, the license would be automatically be added to the Eset License Manager server.

Eset software purchases from third party e-commerce sites such as newegg.com, etc.. since Eset has no knowledge of same, would become active at actual software installation or license renewal time by entry of the license key.

In any case, Eset License Manager only maintains data on active licenses. What the OP requested was the ability to enter info on non-activated; i.e. unused licenses. I believe this request is out of the scope for which Eset's License Manager was created for.

42 minutes ago, zfactor said:

they said the activation has changed for keys prior to 2015 and they are in fact not able to activate those keys. however they will issue an equivalent replacement key for each one as needed. and they will still support those keys.

Personally, I believe a clarification really needs to be made in this regard as to when unused licenses are no longer valid. For example, when the Eset version related to the purchase is "End of Life" support-wise. If for no other reason, so one does not erroneously purchase a older Eset version license from a third party source under the belief the license is still valid.