Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fedon Kadifeli

New Linux installation / virus database not updating

Recommended Posts

I am in a process of moving from Windows (7) to Linux (Ubuntu 18.10). I have a license for NOD32 Antivirus. Yesterday I installed the ESET NOD32 Antivirus software that I downloaded for ESET web site: eset_nod32av_64bit_en.linux

Everything went smoothly and I entered my licenced Username and Password to the new NOD32 installation. However, I noticed that the virus database is out-of-date. Manual or automatic update did not manage to bring the database to the current state. When I try to manually update the virus database, NOD32 first downloads the update.ver file (8KB) and then tries to download the database files (~77MB). However, after ~3-5% of the download process, NOD32 stops and displays the message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully.

On the same window I see that the Last successful update is the current time; however, the Version of virus signature database is 13825 (20160719).

I have not seen anything important in /var/log/esets directory. Events log contains these:

Quote

31/03/19 10:36:17    Preload library access control    Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied    
31/03/19 10:36:05    ESET Daemon    Cannot read from socket: Connection reset by peer    
31/03/19 10:36:04    Preload library access control    Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied    
31/03/19 10:35:49    Media control access    Cannot unblock removable media (org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount)    

 Note that 10:35 is the system's boot time. My /tmp folder's permissions are the normal ones (drwxrwxrwt) and there is no file named esets.sock under /tmp.

Product version is 4.0.90.0. More info is attached.

image.png.5aee864630f8456fbefc64936b9c00d9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you are having in the event log doesn't have anything to do with the updates, I receive update normally on Ubuntu 18.04 and have these errors , these errors are caused by AppArmor , because it denies ESET access to some certain things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rami said:

... these errors are caused by AppArmor , because it denies ESET access to some certain things.

What is the recommended solution for AppArmor?

BTW, the esets.service is running OK:

● esets.service - ESET NOD32 Antivirus
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/esets.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2019-03-31 15:14:21 +03; 4min 3s ago
  Process: 1260 ExecStart=/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 2055 (esets_daemon)
    Tasks: 11 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 489.2M
   CGroup: /system.slice/esets.service
           ├─2055 /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon
           ├─2056 /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon
           └─2057 /opt/eset/esets/lib/esets_mac

Mar 31 15:14:18 xxxx systemd[1]: Starting ESET NOD32 Antivirus...
Mar 31 15:14:21 xxxx systemd[1]: Started ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
Mar 31 15:14:21 xxxx esets_mac[2057]: error[08090000]: Cannot unblock removable media (org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About AppArmor there is a topic here that explains what about it :

About the update , I think you need help with one of the ESET support members or some Staff here can help you with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rami said:

About AppArmor there is a topic here that explains what about it:

The modification on the file /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/base did not work for me. There is a syntax error on the line starting with unix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I left that to ESET developers to fix by the time , I gave up trying to do it on my Linux , when I get rid of one problem another 10 comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. The problem is with the update. There is no log about the update process. The GUI quickly changes; so, I am not able to see what wrong happens. But, it seems that it tries to download 3 files after the update.ver file and it fails after the first one.

  1. I cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried; but no improvement.
  2. I selected enable pre-release updates from Setup; it tried to download a 92 MB worth of data files having names em0??_32_l?.nup. However, it got stuck several times at ~80%. Finally after several retries it was able to update to 19117P (20190331).
  3. I deselected enable pre-release updates, cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried again several times. It tries to update normally, but again it stops and displays the wrong message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully. The virus database does not change: still the Pre-Release database version is displayed.

I think there is some problem with the download servers of ESET. I am sure that the problem is not related to my Internet connection (~32mbps download speed), because I do not have any similar problem with my Windows installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fedon Kadifeli said:

Yes. The problem is with the update. There is no log about the update process. The GUI quickly changes; so, I am not able to see what wrong happens. But, it seems that it tries to download 3 files after the update.ver file and it fails after the first one.

  1. I cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried; but no improvement.
  2. I selected enable pre-release updates from Setup; it tried to download a 92 MB worth of data files having names em0??_32_l?.nup. However, it got stuck several times at ~80%. Finally after several retries it was able to update to 19117P (20190331).
  3. I deselected enable pre-release updates, cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried again several times. It tries to update normally, but again it stops and displays the wrong message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully. The virus database does not change: still the Pre-Release database version is displayed.

I think there is some problem with the download servers of ESET. I am sure that the problem is not related to my Internet connection (~32mbps download speed), because I do not have any similar problem with my Windows installation.

From my side I try to update it updates regulary and works , I am sorry I have no idea what is happening over there with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...