New Linux installation / virus database not updating

I am in a process of moving from Windows (7) to Linux (Ubuntu 18.10). I have a license for NOD32 Antivirus. Yesterday I installed the ESET NOD32 Antivirus software that I downloaded for ESET web site: eset_nod32av_64bit_en.linux

Everything went smoothly and I entered my licenced Username and Password to the new NOD32 installation. However, I noticed that the virus database is out-of-date. Manual or automatic update did not manage to bring the database to the current state. When I try to manually update the virus database, NOD32 first downloads the update.ver file (8KB) and then tries to download the database files (~77MB). However, after ~3-5% of the download process, NOD32 stops and displays the message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully.

On the same window I see that the Last successful update is the current time; however, the Version of virus signature database is 13825 (20160719).

I have not seen anything important in /var/log/esets directory. Events log contains these:

31/03/19 10:36:17    Preload library access control    Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied    
31/03/19 10:36:05    ESET Daemon    Cannot read from socket: Connection reset by peer    
31/03/19 10:36:04    Preload library access control    Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied    
31/03/19 10:35:49    Media control access    Cannot unblock removable media (org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount)    

Note that 10:35 is the system's boot time. My /tmp folder's permissions are the normal ones (drwxrwxrwt) and there is no file named esets.sock under /tmp.

Product version is 4.0.90.0. More info is attached.

image.png.5aee864630f8456fbefc64936b9c00d9.png

• Most Valued Members

What you are having in the event log doesn't have anything to do with the updates, I receive update normally on Ubuntu 18.04 and have these errors , these errors are caused by AppArmor , because it denies ESET access to some certain things.

16 minutes ago, Rami said:

... these errors are caused by AppArmor , because it denies ESET access to some certain things.

What is the recommended solution for AppArmor?

BTW, the esets.service is running OK:

● esets.service - ESET NOD32 Antivirus
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/esets.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2019-03-31 15:14:21 +03; 4min 3s ago
  Process: 1260 ExecStart=/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 2055 (esets_daemon)
    Tasks: 11 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 489.2M
   CGroup: /system.slice/esets.service
           ├─2055 /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon
           ├─2056 /opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon
           └─2057 /opt/eset/esets/lib/esets_mac

Mar 31 15:14:18 xxxx systemd[1]: Starting ESET NOD32 Antivirus...
Mar 31 15:14:21 xxxx systemd[1]: Started ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
Mar 31 15:14:21 xxxx esets_mac[2057]: error[08090000]: Cannot unblock removable media (org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount)

• Most Valued Members

About AppArmor there is a topic here that explains what about it :

About the update , I think you need help with one of the ESET support members or some Staff here can help you with that.

21 minutes ago, Rami said:

About AppArmor there is a topic here that explains what about it:

The modification on the file /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/base did not work for me. There is a syntax error on the line starting with unix.

• Most Valued Members

Yeah I left that to ESET developers to fix by the time , I gave up trying to do it on my Linux , when I get rid of one problem another 10 comes up.

Yes. The problem is with the update. There is no log about the update process. The GUI quickly changes; so, I am not able to see what wrong happens. But, it seems that it tries to download 3 files after the update.ver file and it fails after the first one.

1. I cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried; but no improvement.
  2. I selected enable pre-release updates from Setup; it tried to download a 92 MB worth of data files having names em0??_32_l?.nup. However, it got stuck several times at ~80%. Finally after several retries it was able to update to 19117P (20190331).
  3. I deselected enable pre-release updates, cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried again several times. It tries to update normally, but again it stops and displays the wrong message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully. The virus database does not change: still the Pre-Release database version is displayed.

I think there is some problem with the download servers of ESET. I am sure that the problem is not related to my Internet connection (~32mbps download speed), because I do not have any similar problem with my Windows installation.

• Most Valued Members
7 minutes ago, Fedon Kadifeli said:

Yes. The problem is with the update. There is no log about the update process. The GUI quickly changes; so, I am not able to see what wrong happens. But, it seems that it tries to download 3 files after the update.ver file and it fails after the first one.

1. I cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried; but no improvement.
  2. I selected enable pre-release updates from Setup; it tried to download a 92 MB worth of data files having names em0??_32_l?.nup. However, it got stuck several times at ~80%. Finally after several retries it was able to update to 19117P (20190331).
  3. I deselected enable pre-release updates, cleared the Update Cache from Setup and retried again several times. It tries to update normally, but again it stops and displays the wrong message: Virus signature database has been updated successfully. The virus database does not change: still the Pre-Release database version is displayed.

I think there is some problem with the download servers of ESET. I am sure that the problem is not related to my Internet connection (~32mbps download speed), because I do not have any similar problem with my Windows installation.

From my side I try to update it updates regulary and works , I am sorry I have no idea what is happening over there with you.