Action different between clean and delete

soongwc

Hi All,I'm just purchase the product and new to it, had read through the beginner help (didn't found what i looking for ), like to seek for advice to understand the term use and the actually meaning behind it.

I just did an initial scam which detect a dll file with issues and I'm given  option to choose - no action; clean; delete. -> like to query by the action clean what will ESET do to the file? 

how does it "clean" the dll file? 

And also like to query where can i find the past scan history logs and action ?

Regards

Soong 

• Administrators

Normally files like exe or dlls should be cleaned automatically. Cleaning means sanitizing the infected file (if there's a code that can be cleaned, such as malicious macros or virus infection) and also unregistering it from the system (e.g. from the registry). Deleting means merely removing the malicious file.

For scan logs, from the main ESET GUI screen, go to tools>more tools>log files. See https://help.eset.com/essp/12/en-US/idh_page_scan_logs.html

The ESET Knowledgebase https://support.eset.com/?segment=home (as well as the "Help" menu in your ESET product) provide a bounty of information at your fingertips.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

HI,

like to thanks both Marcos and TomFace for responding.

Cleaning means sanitizing the infected file (if there's a code that can be cleaned, such as malicious macros or virus infection) and also unregistering it from the system (e.g. from the registry). Deleting means merely removing the malicious file.

Marcos, like to better understand about the cleaning, file type like exe and dll are complied machine lang file, how does ESET clean it?  I understand the unregistering part but not hte code clean part.

Regards

Soong

Edited by soongwc

• Administrators

If you had an exe or dll file infected with a virus that adds its code into legitimate files, then cleaning would mean sanitizing (modifying) the file in a way to ensure that the malicious code is not executed at all.

Hi Marcos,

Thanks, now i understand, think we can close this thread, thanks again for answering to my query.

Regards

Soong WengChew