Eset epfwlog.dat very big size

pps

Hello,

Is there a way to decrease the size or delete the old firewall records (older than X months) of the epfwlog.dat file centrally through the ERA console?

Path C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Endpoint Security\Logs\epfwlog.dat

image.png.e3235c7493ff28368556b778ced3dcd6.png

Best Regards,

Peter

• Administrators

Please make sure that the logging verbosity is set to Informative (default):

image.png

If set to Diagnostic, change it to Informative and delete epfwlog.dat in safe mode.

Hello Marcos,

Thanks for the response but I have more than 50 Computers with this problem and is not possible to do this process manually per computer.

If there is no way to do that, can you please suggest to add this feature (max log size or log recycle or days to keep) in an upcoming release?

Thanks,

Peter

• Administrators

First of all, it's important to change the logging verbosity to informative which can be accomplished via a policy.

You can also set to delete records older than 1 day so that older records will be deleted the next time the log maintenance task is run:

image.png

After 2-3 days set the log retention setting back to 90 days.

I would also check your Eset default scheduled log maintenance task and ensure it is running at least on a daily basis:

Eset_Log_Maint.thumb.png.4b81171f2f55a431e507f5be9d44281a.png

@itman that schedule is for deleting the records older than X or to optimize the log files?

@Marcos I changed the settings as you proposed

Edited by pps
edit

2 hours ago, pps said:

@itman that schedule is for deleting the records older than X or to optimize the log files?

I assume it does the same thing as the manual "Optimize" function option within the Eset GUI. It basically performs a "defrag" on the file removing all empty log entries. Run it manually from the Eset GUI on a device as a test and observe if it reduces the log file size. 

Edited by itman