ESET SMC "Run Log Collector" Client Task Fails

I'm running SMC and Clients fine (all updated to latest version). I've set a Task "Run Log Collector" targeted to a single Client (Win PC) and it fails with "Log collector output exceeded 16MB and will not be transferred". As a result I'm not able to collect any Logs. How can I modify this limit in order to collect the Logs? Thanks and Regards.

• Administrators

I don't think it's possible. The generated archive can be even several gigabytes in size if a lot of memory dumps or extremely big logs were generated for some reason.

You can remote in to the machine and run ESET Log Collector as per https://support.eset.com/kb3466.

Thanks for the Reply. So we can state that this specific Task is useless when run from ESET SMC? Please confirm in order to avoid misunderstanding. Thanks and Regards.

• Administrators

It's not useless but it may not work at all times. Logs gathered by ELC are usually small enough in order to be transferred to ESMC, however, if advanced (debug) logging had been enabled for some time the logs could grow to such an extent that the overall size of the generated archive would exceed the limit for the task.

Is there any way I can set the logging level on the Client in order to reduce it to the minimum and then be able to transfer it to ESMC? I'm running a Test with 1 Client but in Production we have 60 Clients.

Further question related to this Task: is it worth? I mean... if ESET Log Collector Logs are meant for debugging purposes only I could consider avoiding collecting Logs for all Clients on a Scheduled basis. But if ESET Log Collector Logs are meant ALSO to collect "monitoring" Logs, it might be worth collecting the on a Scheduled basis.

• Administrators

Logs gathered by ESET Log Collector are primarily intended for troubleshooting issues by customer care. They are not intended for processing logs for instance. If you need to log to text files for further processing, there's such an option in the Endpoint advanced setup -> Log files.

@Marcos

on this same subject, what typically shows up on the Diagnostic logs of a client (both PC and Mac), and how do I get it there? Are these logs from Log Collector?

image.png.022350954cd82f658c55daaa0e0dc30b.png

• ESET Staff

No, you can fill those up by runing a client task to enable sending of diagnostic data. It should basically include the same set of data as stored locally on the client. Once the diagnostic collection is disabled, logs will be cleaned up in next 24 hours to prevent DB overload. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can launch a task, and I can define parameters as defined in 

https://help.eset.com/log_collector/3.2/en-US/?elc_cli.html

This is nice. But for me it would be sufficient to define the "Default" settings when I aquire the logs.
Currently it's the default and for 30days. Reducing it to the last 5 days, will cause the log creation to succeed.
Or can I define a different profile, when clicking on the button in the computers "Execute Log Collector"

Is there a way to define the default log creation without creating my own task?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, xMRi said:

Is there a way to define the default log creation without creating my own task?

I don't think so. ELC logs are intended for customer care and it is important to get logs for a longer period. 30 days is the default value used by ELC.

But even than it isn't useful, because a feature just for "customer care" should be executable from the ESMC.

Restricting the age parameter to 5 days would be a gold way. Even if you try to find problems. The problems occurred mostly in the last 48h...

- just my 2 cents.