ESET Server (ekrn.exe) restarting loop with ESET File Server -

Hi!

We have 3 Windows 2012 server running ESET File server Security v. 7.0.12016.

On one server the Windows service "ESET service" keeps restarting in a loop and the ESET GUI does not load . In EMC the server is listed as "security product not running".

I tried removing ESET File Security on that server via Software->remove and reinstalling it with an AIO installer but both methods failed.

Any suggestions here how to fix this?

I am afraid that when I use the uninstaller tool in Windows safe mode it will also remoce the ESET EMC which is alos installaed on that very server.

thx for any help

Edited by ichkriegediekriese
typos

• ESET Moderators

Hello @ichkriegediekriese,

is the product i.e. ekrn.exe process crashing?

If yes, can you please take a crash dump via procdump -ma -e ekrn and provide me with it to check?

In uninstaller you may choose which products will be uninstalled, moreover I don't think that the uninstaller supports ESMC 🙂, in case you would like to be 120% sure, you may do a ESMC backup.

Regards, Peter

7 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @ichkriegediekriese,

is the product i.e. ekrn.exe process crashing?

If yes, can you please take a crash dump via procdump -ma -e ekrn and provide me with it to check?

In uninstaller you may choose which products will be uninstalled, moreover I don't think that the uninstaller supports ESMC 🙂, in case you would like to be 120% sure, you may do a ESMC backup.

Regards, Peter

Hi, thx for your help.

However procdump reports "access denied" when I try the command

• Administrators

You need to run it with elevated administrator rights.

If ekrn is crashing, a dump should be generated automatically in the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics folder. The best would be to configure it to generate complete application memory dumps in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics if it doesn't crash immediately.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

You need to run it with elevated administrator rights.

I am logged in as Administrator - should that not be elevated enough 😀 ?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

If ekrn is crashing, a dump should be generated automatically in the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics folder

The folder:

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET File Security\Diagnostics

is completely empty.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The best would be to configure it to generate complete application memory dumps in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics if it doesn't crash immediately.

OK, I changed that but I still don't see any dump files in the diagnostic folders.

Edited by ichkriegediekriese

• ESET Moderators
On 3/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, ichkriegediekriese said:

I am logged in as Administrator - should that not be elevated enough 😀 ?

On 3/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, Marcos said:

Yes as the administrator is not a full admin, without elevation by default 🙂

On 3/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, ichkriegediekriese said:

OK, I changed that but I still don't see any dump files in the diagnostic folders.

In case there are no dumps created, we need to investigate this further.

Can you please record few minutes of Process monitor log to see what is going on there?

Also please take a ESET Log collector, compress them to an archive and send me a download details via private message with a reference to this tread to check.

Regards, Peter