Protecting Audio devices with Eset

Why Eset Camera Control doesn't have internal Microphone control option? It makes a little sense to control programs or web access to a camera, but not internal microphone?

External Device Control feature allows to control access to an external USB Microphone as stated in Help.  However, when I try to add a new control Rule in Eset 12.1.31.0 Advanced Setup - Devices, the Device Type dropdown menu doesn't show Microphone option in the list. Why is that, and how to add an external Mic rule, what option to choose instead, like "Portable Devices" etc?

Why only a program access to external devices can be blocked? How I can block a program from accessing an internal laptop Mic or device?  Windows Settings - Microphone Privacy window shows a list of mostly Windows internal apps or loaded from Windows Store, for which Mic access can be allowed or denied. But how to monitor & control access to internal Mic by ANY installed app, or a remote website or service?

More generally, can you add internal Audio Device Control feature to Eset? The security hole I see now is some programs like legit VAC, VoiceMeeter and spyware can silently add virtual "audio cables" allowing for another 3rd party app to monitor and silently record all phone and room conversations on a Windows 10 PC by intercepting clear audio card stream from mic and speakers, thus bypassing source stream encryption like web browser's WebRTC call stream.  Such recordings can later be uploaded to a cloud server and accessed anonymously by an intruder, or sent to his email.

Is it possible for Eset to control such unauthorized access changes and intercepts of internal audio card streams? If not, can you add that? What program can do it now? How I can see a list of all installed programs having access to audio card streams on a Windows PC?

Edited by zamar27

Both laptop Mic and integrated Speakers are listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers as one controller "Realtek High Definition Audio". They are listed separately as Speakers and Mic in Windows Sounds Panel. That's were Eset should look for Mics.... and Speakers to monitor access to. 😉

However, my suggestion is to monitor Audio Card (the controller) and allow programs access to Mic and Speaker streams only upon user permission. This will prevent spy programs from intercepting in-progress audio sessions like PC VoIP phone calls, which are passed as clear local stream through the audio card despite most being now encrypted at WebRTC or similar internet stream source. Now spy programs can locally record encrypted internet conversations in clear from audio card stream to Wav file, and Eset offers no protection. 😥 In fact, I don't know any program which does, so its a huge market opportunity for Eset.

Edited by zamar27