ESMC 7 VA: Operating system update does not work

I've had an ERA 6.5 VA installation moved to ESMC 7. I've followed an upgrade and migrate procedure to do so and it seemed to go as planned. Clients connect and update just fine and tasks also worked ok. There was a delay initially when I was offered to initiate a component upgrade procedure in order to update ESMC itself. It seemed to hang but the other day was gone.

I've been receiving a warning that the operating system is not up to date. I created a task from within ESMC to update it, but nothing seems to have been done. Two days later the task is nowhere to be found and my VA still shows that the operating system is not up to date.

Any ideas?

• ESET Staff

@carmikIs the agent installed on the appliance actually reporting to the ESMC? As the behavior you have experienced would indicate, that agent is broken, and is not getting the task, and not reporting the current status. But without more data, It´s just a guess. 

@karlisiThanks for the info, but I am describing a server/virtual appliance issue here and not a Windows client one.

@MichalJI am not sure that the agent does not work. Please check the attached screenshot. Not an expert here, but it shows that connection is taking place properly (last connected time), hardware details of the VA are exposed to the ESMC application (possibly meaning that the agent is able to communicate hardware configuration to ESMC).

Can you provide some suggestion on how to proceed from this point onwards?

esmc.png

• ESET Staff

It shows that the agent is connecting OK, as the "last connected time" shows today. When you click on the "list of alerts", does it show you that updates are available? If you click on the particular alert, it should offer you a one click action to update the operating system. Have you done it this way in the past?  I would just for sure choose the "custom settings" option, and select all 3 checkboxes. If it won´t work even then, I would recommend to contact official ESET customer care. 

22 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

It shows that the agent is connecting OK, as the "last connected time" shows today. When you click on the "list of alerts", does it show you that updates are available?

Yes, it does. It signifies that the "Operating system is not up to date".

If you click on the particular alert, it should offer you a one click action to update the operating system.

It does. I had selected the first option ("Update Operating System").

Have you done it this way in the past?

Nope, first time from within ESMC. I did try to do that once when I had ERA installed from webmin and ended up with broken ODBC. Restored the VM from a snapshot and stopped trying to approach the update with a 10-foot pole. :)

I would just for sure choose the "custom settings" option, and select all 3 checkboxes.

Trying that at the moment. This time it is running, hoping that it will reboot so I can check from a Linux shell whether something has been done.

Thanks for all your help!

Screenshot_2019-03-19 ESET Security Management Center.png

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, the ESMC is reporting a server requires a Windows Update, it notifies the endpoint client, the UI alerts the user - that's all fine. 

From within ESMC though, once I drill down to the server alerts it shows "There are operating system updates available..", click this and you get a menu saying "Update Operating system" or "Update Operating System (custom settings)". Both of these options create a task which I expect should be telling the endpoint to perform the windows update but it doesn't. The update doesn't install.

Curious if this is a setup issue or a bug in ESMC

EDIT: After clicking the endpoints UI that shows what Windows updates are needed, it clears the problem from ESMC even though the Windows updates are still required. Maybe this needs more work?

Edited by Stoobers