klehman

since update to 12.1.31.0, program keeps opening up to home screen spontaneously.

It's very annoying. Nod32 antivirus, windows 10 pro latest

Are you talking about the ESET GUI sceen when you say "home screen"? Did you do an overlay (use the in program version update)? Usually that works fine. You might consider uninstalling using the ESET Uninstall tool (in safe mode) and then do a fresh install.

https://support.eset.com/kb2788/

Also, are you doing anything with e-mail when this happens? If so, take a look at https://forum.eset.com/topic/18929-new-bug-with-antispam-module/

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

I can confirm this (mis-)behavior that seemingly has been introduced with the latest application update; although I don't think it's random. It looks like the main window (not the tray "balloon" notification) now pops up each and every time an update completes successfully, stealing the focus of whatever window being active at the time.

I did not make any changes on my end to provoke this, nor was I able to identify an option that would disable this. In a way, NOD32 now feels very much like adware programs of old which is rather disappointing.

Happening here too. Came in this am and the eset screen was up. Thought I may have hit the icon in the taskbar without realizing it. Now it just popped open on its own while working in another program. Email client was not open at the time.

Aggravating.

Until Eset figures out why this happens, one might try what this poster did in another thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19007-main-you-are-protected-screen-keeps-popping-up-every-few-minutes/?do=findComment&comment=92783 .

It makes no sense to me and I assume others, why opening Win Task Manager would stop the popping up of the Eset GUI home page. But if it stops the behavior, at least for the duration of the current logon session, it would be worthwhile.

• Administrators

Please use Windows Steps Recorder while reproducing the issue and supply us with the generated archive so that we can try to reproduce it accordingly.

STEP #1: have ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed

Done!

Again, this happens without any user interaction; you don't even need to be present in the room for this to happen. What kind of steps are we supposed to record?

When one startups the Eset Gui via desktop, ekrn.exe appears to dynamically create a equi.exe child process to do so. It appears eguiProxy.exe sole function to terminate equi.exe after a short time interval. I have observed that egui.exe does not immediately terminate after the Eset Gui is closed on the desktop.

Appears something in the above is out of sync in a few isolated install instances. My money at this point is something is amiss with perhaps the Windows installation. Note that normally the parent process terminates the child process which is not the case here.

Started here today as well. Have seen it three times this morning. 

The only recent change of note was applying the last March 2019 Windows Updates a day or two ago. 

There is something going on - that's for sure.

VP

I think ESET have made a move to not have egui permanently running in the background, meaning that when the app wishes to report something, it temporarily starts up egui to do so. It appears that in most cases this also brings up the "you are protected" main window in the process. I am finding other odd little effects as a result, eg if I right click a file to "check file reputation", just the reputation box used to appear, but now the egui window opens also.

12 hours ago, cyberWorzx said:

Hasn't occurred since I posted yesterday. Only thing I did yesterday was switch off and back on Alert windows under Alerts & Notifications.

Spoke too soon. Seems to occur every time I log in now after my monitor times out.

13 hours ago, cyberWorzx said:

Spoke too soon. Seems to occur every time I log in now after my monitor times out.

same here.

weird how it temporarily solved itself the first time for me, though. almost as if the process was hiding from me or something when I caught it running in Task Manager.

Same pop-up window here.  THis was a brand new install on a brand new computer.  It is annoying, that is why I set up an account to find out how to disable or see if this was an issue others were having.  Did not have this problem until the most recent update.  Everything was great before then.

Since there are two separate threads on going about this issue, one might try on a temporary basis what @Peter Randziak suggested in this posting: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19007-main-you-are-protected-screen-keeps-popping-up-every-few-minutes/?do=findComment&comment=92860 . If something gets "borked" in the Eset GUI, just rename the .dll back to its original name. Note: this has to be done in Safe mode since that Eset directory is protected by Eset from modification. After the change was made, reboot the PC and monitor for the abnormal Eset GUI startup behavior.

Also if this stops the behavior, please post back since no one to date has done so in the other thread.

Edited by itman

I renamed eguiActivation.dll as suggested but it did not change the issue I posted above (main window appearing when checking file reputation). I haven't been getting the main window pop up with updates, so someone else will need to post whether this was fixed or not.

• Marcos locked this topic