[SOLVED] Windows XP: Should I update ERA Agent to ESMC Agent?

I have just migrated my ERA VA (6.5) to ESMC VA (7+). I will update all ERA Agents to ESMC on Vista and higher. My question is: should I upgrade ERA Agent on Windows XP to ESMC Agent or not?

I presume that I should stick with ESET Endpoint Antivirus/Security 6.5 on XP, let me know if it is ok to move also to 6.6.

Edited by carmik

Thank you Marcos, can you please address my first question as well? That is, should I update ERA agent to ESMC on these xp boxes or not?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

As for Endpoint, v6.5 is the last with official support for Windows XP.

We upgraded Windows XP to EEA 6.6.2089.2 and no problems yet. So our setup is unsupported?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, karlisi said:

We upgraded Windows XP to EEA 6.6.2089.2 and no problems yet. So our setup is unsupported?

While newer versions will probably work on Windows XP, we do not guarantee it and any issues stemming from that will not be considered bugs that should be fixed.

hi ,

If you're running xp in virtual machines , be aware that there are random issues with eraagent.exe taking 100%cpu.

The only "viable" option is to downgrade the agent to 6.5 as there won't be any fixes released

In my case ,trying to remove the agent 7.x from the esmc console end up with a  partial removed software .

i had to manually remove the software by editing registry , removing services ......

Good luck

One fast question, since upgrading ERA agent to ESMC agent seems to leave ERA agent leftovers in add/remove programs. Is that normal? Shouldn't they be deleted?

• ESET Staff

This was a known issue for the summer release of the ESMC, but was supposedly resolved in the service released in October. 

• ESET Staff
5 hours ago, carmik said:

One fast question, since upgrading ERA agent to ESMC agent seems to leave ERA agent leftovers in add/remove programs. Is that normal? Shouldn't they be deleted?

Please verify that AGENT you installed has version 7.0.577.0. Otherwise it is a known issue and is should resolve after upgrade.

17 hours ago, MartinK said:

Please verify that AGENT you installed has version 7.0.577.0. Otherwise it is a known issue and is should resolve after upgrade.

I believe I'm already at that version, see pic.

eset.png

• ESET Staff

Could you also provide version of original ERA Agent that remained installed? We have prepared cleanups only for specific official release, so maybe this version was not covered. Also what happens when you try to uninstall this "remnants"?

On 3/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, MartinK said:

Could you also provide version of original ERA Agent that remained installed? We have prepared cleanups only for specific official release, so maybe this version was not covered.

6.5.522.0. I noticed though that in some cases upgrade goes fine, without leaving era agent leftovers behind. Whereas in some other case, it does leave.

Also what happens when you try to uninstall this "remnants"?

I'll have to find time to find one such case and report back.