We are having this exact same issue since deploying ESET Endpoint Security 6.3.2016.0.  We have a test user with a new Dell Latitude M3800 that keeps reporting loud fan noise from her system since installing ESET.  We were running a newer version of the ESET AV before without this issue.

• Administrators

We are having this exact same issue since deploying ESET Endpoint Security 6.3.2016.0.  We have a test user with a new Dell Latitude M3800 that keeps reporting loud fan noise from her system since installing ESET.  We were running a newer version of the ESET AV before without this issue.

During compilation of updates it's normal that the processor is used at maximum for a few seconds which may cause a fan to spin up. If it lasts for a longer time, we could investigate what's going on there.

We don't apply updates everyday though.  Just wanted to report that we've seen this issue as well.  We weren't having this issue on ESET AV 5.X at all (not even during updates).

• Administrators

We don't apply updates everyday though.  Just wanted to report that we've seen this issue as well.  We weren't having this issue on ESET AV 5.X at all (not even during updates).

Updates should be applied as soon as they are available on ESET's update servers in order to keep computers protected against threats. We normally release 6 updates per day. Between updates, protection against newly emerging malware is ensured by LiveGrid. Note that if there are bigger gaps between updates, LiveGrid won't be able to provide sufficient protection either.

The fan may turn on also if ESET is extensively scanning particular files or if an on-demand scan of files is running. It is another advantage of LiveGrid that it enables the scanner to skip 100% clean files. If you have LiveGrid disabled, consider enabling it.

I thought you meant Windows Updates.  We do apply ESET updates as they are available.  

I've uninstalled ESET Endpoint Security, rebooted the users system, and reinstalled.  Let's see how that works out.  Their EKERN.EXE was also using 250+ MB of RAM.  I was told by support that this is unusual. 

You did not say how old the laptop is. I hope it is sitting on a hard flat surface and not on something that

blocks air flow.

Edited by ken1943

It's a brand new M3800 and yes. Did I not say it wasn't doing this before when we were using ESET AV 5.X? It couldn't possibly be this new software.... No, we are stuffing fabric into the vents.

Okay, so uninstalling and reinstalling the Endpoint Security on the user's machine helped.  The fan stopped going crazy all the time (it was often, not "during updates") and the RAM usage for ekern.exe went from 250MB to 150MB.  We used rip and replace to originally get the newer Endpoint on her system.  

Uninstalling via ERA 6.3.X didn't work.  I had to remove the password and get her to uninstall it manually.

Edited by cpetry