Minor ver. 12.1 bug - Scheduled Scan

My scheduled scan that is set to run at noon every Thursday, fired off at 11 AM EST. Appears Eset internally is already set to daylight savings time?:unsure:

• Administrators

Before we consult this with devs, could you try scheduling a new task and see if the issue occurs? We should know if it's caused by the upgrade and the issue is with already existing tasks or if it concerns new tasks as well.

18 minutes ago, itman said:

Set up a like weekly scan to run on Thursday at 1 PM. Let's see if it runs at noon. 

It fired off at noon. Looks like some Eset issue with the Windows clock setting.

-EDIT- The scheduler last run time for the existing noon scan shows it was run at noon versus its actual start time of 11 AM.

Edited by itman

Well, the 1 PM newly created scan shows it hasn't run and the existing noon scan appears to show that it was the one that started at noon.

Might just be some "hiccup" in the Eset scheduler for it running an hour ahead of time. Will report back if this activity occurs again next week.

• itman changed the title to Minor ver. 12.1 bug - Scheduled Scan

@Marcos, in regards to this recent like posting https://forum.eset.com/topic/17991-as-soon-as-possible-option-of-scheduler/?do=findComment&comment=92026 , I can add some further information.

Later yesterday, I edited my existing scheduled scan. It was originally coded to run the scan immediately if missed for 2 hours which as commented upon previously, didn't work in ver. 12.0.31. I changed it to run the scan to run as soon as possible. Upon saving the change, I observed that the prior scan run history had been deleted from the entry and the scan immediately started running. Of note is this was not the behavior on ver. 12.0.31 when the run options were changed.

Appears to me that Eset devs. did this intentionally to set some type of internal trigger mechanism to ensure that scheduled scan run time options perform as designed. It also appears to me that anyone with existing scheduled scans will have to "reset" them by editing existing options or, by deleting the existing one and  creating a new one.

Edited by itman

Well, daylight savings time is now in effect. Wanted to see if this resolved the default log maintenance scan running an hour ahead of schedule as noted in the above linked posting. It did not. That scan ran an hour ahead of schedule today. Definitely appears their is some type of time issue between Eset scheduler and system clock.

I have had the same problem with my log maintenance. It is set to run every night at 8pm and it was ran at 7pm instead of 8pm

Edited by Purpleroses

15 hours ago, Marcos said:

A task was run when it was due:

Again, not on my Eset installation. Perhaps Eset not in sync with U.S. DST?

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.951d818e3b41be3eacf99f461f17c12a.png

-EDIT- Just occurred to me the problem might only manifest with scans that existed prior to the 12.1.31 upgrade. You created a new scan to test. I will edit the Log maintenance scan and see it that eliminates the problem.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

You can also try exporting / backing up settings,  uninstalling EIS and installing v12.1.31 from scratch. Let us know if you're able to reproduce it after the vanilla installation without changing any other default settings.

14 hours ago, Purpleroses said:

I was just wondering if it is alright for it do it before schedule time?  What did you do itman to get it to work at the right time?

Slightly change existing run time. I changed mine from 6:00:15 PM to 6:00:16 for example. Save you change.

The Log maintenance scan will immediately start running since its missed scan option is set to run ASAP. Believe this is also a bug but doesn't cause any harm. Thereafter, the scan will run at its scheduled time.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, Purpleroses said:

I have changed my existing run time and saved it an it still runs a hour before.  I will have to reinstall Eset from scratch to see if that fixes it.

I'm curious about something since you reside in Canada. Do you reside in one of the areas that do not switch to DST?

Daylight saving time (DST) is observed in all ten Canadian provinces and three territories.[1] However, there are exceptions within several provinces and the territory of Nunavut, including most of Saskatchewan, which observes Central Standard Time year-round even though the province is in the Mountain Zone, effectively putting it on DST year-round. Under the Canadian Constitution, laws related to timekeeping are a purely provincial or territorial matter.[2]

I still believe this is a bug in the way Eset is determining DST. Perhaps there is something internally within Win 10 for example, where the Windows clock does not factor DST. Some algorithm is run at boot time, etc. that recalculates the DST time based on location telemetry or the like. Eset is extracting the non-DST factored internal clock for its Scheduler purposes?

I do live in area in Canada where we do have daylight saving time.  So I was wondering if I really have to worry about this because I don't really want to reinstall Eset

1 hour ago, Purpleroses said:

So I was wondering if I really have to worry about this because I don't really want to reinstall Eset

When you changed the time on the Log maintenance event, did it run immediately? Note the default missed scan option for that event is run ASAP. Appears to me, the immediate run after event time change is necessary to resync Eset to its correct time recognition behavior.

19 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

So do I have anything to worry about it won't hurt my computer right?

Correct.

All that is happening is the scan is running an hour ahead of schedule. As far as Log Maintenance goes, it has nothing do with realtime scanning.

If you have user created scheduled malware scans and those are running ahead of schedule, you might have to ensure your PC remains powered up an hour ahead of the scheduled scan time. There was an issue prior to ver. 12.1.31 where missed scans were not being run per scheduled event missed scan settings. Don't know if that has been resolved on ver. 12.1.31.

Edited by itman

No I have never created a scheduled malware scans.  All I have in my scheduler is Regular automatic update, Automatic Startup file check, successful module update and log maintenance.

Thank you so much for responding to my questions itman