MacOS crash/unexpected wake from sleep on endpoint security?

brandobot

On our t2 chipset macOS laptops (2018 and newer), we are seeing crashing on wake from sleep. On average, crashing happens 1-2 times per week for all of our users.

we are running 6.7.654.0. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Edited by brandobot

• ESET Moderators

Hello @brandobot,

1. Does it crash only after the wake-up

2. If yes after each or just sometimes?

3. The issue is exclusive for the new ("t2 chipset macOS laptops (2018 and newer)") systems only?

4. What exactly crashes just the ESET app or entire system?

Can you please collect the logs right after the crash and send them to me to check via a private message with a reference to this thread so I can have them checked? 

Regards, P.R.

9 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @brandobot,

1. Does it crash only after the wake-up

2. If yes after each or just sometimes?

3. The issue is exclusive for the new ("t2 chipset macOS laptops (2018 and newer)") systems only?

4. What exactly crashes just the ESET app or entire system?

Can you please collect the logs right after the crash and send them to me to check via a private message with a reference to this thread so I can have them checked? 

Regards, P.R.

1) Yes, only wake from sleep.

2) Only sometimes. We sent a survey to 150 of our users on 2018 Macbook Pros and they experience crashing 1-2 times per week on average.

3) Yes, only 2018 and newer. (t2 macs)

4) Entire system reboots. Upon waking up from sleep, we'll see an Apple logo, then get kicked back out to the login screen. Upon login, you'll find that all apps are closed and the system had rebooted. This is indicative of t2 performing a reboot when it thinks it detects an intruder.

I have removed Endpoint Security 6.7.654.0 from 4 of our test machines over the last 3 days and have not experienced a crash. I will keep running without endpoint security for a few more days to be sure this is the case. 

On one of my test machines, I wrote down the date/times of two crashes. Is there any specific log files I should be looking at and gathering?
Edit:: I  used the ESET log collector and have sent you logs from 2 of the affected machine and the date/time it experienced the unexpected reboot.

I've also created a case with ESET support

Edited by brandobot

11 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @brandobot,

good, thank you for the answers and the logs.

I had them checked by my colleague, who has expertise in macOS support and I replied you via the private messages.

Regards, P.R.

Per US Support, they recommended we install ESET back onto these machines. Within 3 hours, 2 machines already restarted/crashed upon wake from sleep. Without it installed, we went about 4 days without any crashing. I'm running the log collector script now and will PM it to you.