ESMCS 7.0.577.0 Cannot initialize SSPI package

Hi, i'm using Security Management Center Server 7.0.577.0 but at service startup i get error Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Cannot initialize SSPI package Native error:127
After some investigation i think the problem is about the Security.dll inside the ESET/RemoteAdministrator/Server folder. This dll is also present in C:\Windows\System32 folder and in particular is used for SSPI. More information can be found here https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20040702-00/?p=38583

How can i solve this issue?
Thanks

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, Stefano said:

Nobody have this issue?

Just to be sure, but have you modified ESMC connecting string to database after installation? Are you using standard user to access database or trusted connection is used? Asking because we have seen this issue in case trusted connection is used, which is not standard behavior of ESMC.

20 hours ago, MartinK said:

Just to be sure, but have you modified ESMC connecting string to database after installation? Are you using standard user to access database or trusted connection is used? Asking because we have seen this issue in case trusted connection is used, which is not standard behavior of ESMC.

I don't modify anything. This is the connection string:
DatabaseType=MSSQLOdbc
DatabaseConnectionString=Driver=SQL Server;Server=localhost,14222;Trusted_Connection=yes;CharSet=utf8;Database=era_db;

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, Stefano said:

I don't modify anything. This is the connection string:
DatabaseType=MSSQLOdbc
DatabaseConnectionString=Driver=SQL Server;Server=localhost,14222;Trusted_Connection=yes;CharSet=utf8;Database=era_db;

It seems that is might be caused by ODBC driver used, as "SQL Server" is the most oldest. Could you try to check what other ODBC drivers you have installed in system and try to modify connection string to that Driver=SQL Server is changed for example to Driver=ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server (string must match exactly name of driver) or other alternatives you have in your system?

List of available ODBC drivers can be found in control panel:

image.png

PS: in upcoming release, new drivers will be offered by installer itself. Currently it offers only older drivers that might result in this state in case trusted connection is used.

Edited by MartinK

On 2/27/2019 at 10:23 AM, MartinK said:

It seems that is might be caused by ODBC driver used, as "SQL Server" is the most oldest. Could you try to check what other ODBC drivers you have installed in system and try to modify connection string to that Driver=SQL Server is changed for example to Driver=ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server (string must match exactly name of driver) or other alternatives you have in your system?

List of available ODBC drivers can be found in control panel:

image.png

PS: in upcoming release, new drivers will be offered by installer itself. Currently it offers only older drivers that might result in this state in case trusted connection is used.

Ok, with this solution works, but i have to change the eset remote control center service from network service to local service.

Edited by Stefano
language

• ESET Staff
6 hours ago, Stefano said:

Ok, with this solution works, but i have to change the eset remote control center service from network service to local service.

Could you provide more details? This change should work without such requirement, any only problem I could think of is that modification of StartupConfiguration.ini file resulted in permissions change that prevented network service to access it. Any chance you have store error strings?