License Usage. How Long to Update?

Hi folks,

Our license usage in ESMC is showing as slightly over, so I have done some tidying up and removed some ex-PCs (ensured no policy was applying, used "Stop Managing", and "Remove Device"). I have verified they are no longer in the Computers listing.

Our license count is still exactly the same though. Does it takes some minutes/hours for the license count to catch up?

Thanks

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, CMS said:

Hi folks,

Our license usage in ESMC is showing as slightly over, so I have done some tidying up and removed some ex-PCs (ensured no policy was applying, used "Stop Managing", and "Remove Device"). I have verified they are no longer in the Computers listing.

Our license count is still exactly the same though. Does it takes some minutes/hours for the license count to catch up?

Thanks

When you were removing devices from ESMC console, have you actually selected "Deactivate device" when ask in prompt for removal? Could you verify numbers in ESMC are the same as in EBA/ELA portal? Also it takes some time to synchronize, maybe explicit synchronization as seen in license view could help to speed it up...

Thanks. Yes, definitely deactivating as well.

I had to reboot the server for Windows Updates, and subsequent to that the numbers have updated. What's odd though is that the number of computers listed is around 10 less than the number of licenses used. Should these not be equal, or the number of licenses lower if some PCs are not managed?

• ESET Staff

In general, the number shown in the "license tab" of ESMC is not coming from ESMC itself, it´s coming from our licensing server infrastructure. You can always update the number by clicking "synchronize licenses" in your license tab. You can do a license cleanup, by accessing eset license administrator / eset business account (depending on which you are using). If you never setup an account, you can go to ela.eset.com, and use your license key for login. Over there, you can see all of the devices activated with your license. 

Our licensing has one issue, where it creates duplicated entries for machines that are often using multiple network adapters  (like switching often between LAN / WIFI). Then they are orphaned, however still consuming the license. You can cleanup those by lowering the setting "deactivate seats not connected for XYZ" days (by default, it´s set to 365 days). 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Where do I find the "deactivate seats" setting? Can't spot it in server settings.

• ESET Staff

You can find this setting in ELA / EBA in "settings" tab. You can also find "delete not connecting computers" task in ESMC / ERA that could optionally include also the option to deactivate the license.