ESET Endpoint Security - usability issues

Hi all,

First of all, to prevent misunderstandings based on the title - I *love* the ESET protection software. I don't recall anymore how long ago I was recommended to switch from Nortons bloatware to ESET, but I am still thankful for that advise!

However, after upgrading to ESET Endpoint (version 5.0.2126.0), I must say that there are two issues that bother me a bit. Both in the usability area.

First - updates. Older versions of ESET that I used would pop up a message box when they had updated their virus database. No problem. ESET Endpoint Security does the same, but with one difference - this messagebox grabs control. So when I'm typing, text suddenly disappears in the ESET window instead of going to my text editor. And when I'm playing a keyboard-controlled game, my frentic keyboard-smashing no longer controls my avatar, causing me to lose a life. Can you please change it back so that the message box informing me of updates no longer grabs control? (Or, as a second best alternative, tell me how to change the options to fix this issue?)

Second - sometimes, ESET Endpoint Security will pop up a message saying that it requires my attention. Again, something previous versions did too. But again with a difference. With the previous versions, when I responded by clicking, I would see a reason. Okay, usually the reason was that I was behind with my patches, something that Windows Update would eventually fix for me anyway, but at least there was a good reason. Now, when ESET wants my attention, I am taken to the main screen showing all green tick marks for the protection status, and no indication at all for why my attention was asked. Why?

Again - I still love ESET for what it does and how it does it, and these two issues are just annoyances. But I would surely love it if they could be fixed!

Cheers,

Hugo Kornelis

• Administrators

First of all, nothing has changed in recent Endpoint builds that would make the mentioned issues manifest. 

First - updates. Older versions of ESET that I used would pop up a message box when they had updated their virus database. No problem. ESET Endpoint Security does the same, but with one difference - this messagebox grabs control. So when I'm typing, text suddenly disappears in the ESET window instead of going to my text editor. And when I'm playing a keyboard-controlled game, my frentic keyboard-smashing no longer controls my avatar, causing me to lose a life. Can you please change it back so that the message box informing me of updates no longer grabs control? (Or, as a second best alternative, tell me how to change the options to fix this issue?)

This issue should be fixed in the latest build 5.0.2214.

Second - sometimes, ESET Endpoint Security will pop up a message saying that it requires my attention. Again, something previous versions did too. But again with a difference. With the previous versions, when I responded by clicking, I would see a reason. Okay, usually the reason was that I was behind with my patches, something that Windows Update would eventually fix for me anyway, but at least there was a good reason. Now, when ESET wants my attention, I am taken to the main screen showing all green tick marks for the protection status, and no indication at all for why my attention was asked. Why?

This is nothing new and the issue with pop-up notifications has been there for ages. V6 had the notification feature completely revamped to rule out the possibility of a bug. This didn't stop the notifications from appearing, however. Recently we've found out that the issue is most likely caused by the fact that Windows returns an undocumented error number. A workaround for this will be incorporated in one of the future builds.

Thanks for your reply, Marcos!

First of all, nothing has changed in recent Endpoint builds that would make the mentioned issues manifest. 

My bad, I should have been more specific. Before installing Endpoint Security, I was using Smart Security. I now realize that my mention of "upgrade" withing being more specific must have led readers to believe that I had upgraded from an earlier version of the same product.

I am very glad to head that the focus-grabbing has already been fixed, and I'll get Endpoint Security to look for upgrades right after posting this messages. I am also glad to hear that you are working on a workaround for the fake notification.

Cheers,

Hugo