Sign in to follow this  
Norm@Home

Internet Security stuck on updating product for days?

I have a new notebook computer that I installed Eset Internet Security on, having downloaded the offline installer directly from the Eset website. I installed it and entered the license key I was provided and it seemed to activate, then it went to do it's first update and it's been stuck on "Updating Product" for more than 3 days. Any idea's on how to fix this?

Was EIS activated correctly? Is license information displayed under Help and support? Does rebooting the machine (preferably by running "shutdown -r -t 0" in case you use Windows 8/10 fast boot) make a difference?

As TomFace suggested, I uninstalled but using the normal "Programs and features" control panel app ended with an error something like "you may not have permissions" or some such error so I had to download the Eset Uninstaller and reboot into safe mode in order to remove the original installation. After reinstalling activation did take an unusually long time, almost an hour but it did activate. I haven't rebooted yet as the program is doing it's initial scan but also update its again "Updating product" and has been for more than an hour; this is the same problem that it had originally and this update never seems to finish. Previously no matter how many reboots the "Updating product" never finished and I have no reason to expect that this time it's going to be any different.

Once the initial scan finishes I'll try and reboot with "shutdown -r -t 0" since Fast Startup is enabled on this notebook computer.

The computer ran for more than 5 hours last night and is still stuck on "Updating product". Any more idea's?

Please carry on as follow:
- Under Help and support -> Details for customer care, enable advanced logging
- Reboot the machine (via "shutdown -r -t 0", just in case)
- Run manual update
- Stop logging after approximately 10 seconds of no update activity
- Gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated zip file.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follow:
- Under Help and support -> Details for customer care, enable advanced logging
- Reboot the machine (via "shutdown -r -t 0", just in case)
- Run manual update
- Stop logging after approximately 10 seconds of no update activity
- Gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated zip file.

Fast startup is disabled so no need to do "shutdown -r -t 0"; in regards to "Stop logging after approximately 10 seconds of no update activity" how am I supposed to do that when the problem is that "Updating product" never completes so there is no instance when there is no update activity? I'll let it run with advanced logging enabled for a couple hours and then gather the logs and post them here so you can look at it.

You can leave it logging just for 1-2 minutes. Then disable logging and gather logs.