EIS and scan result windows

Hi,

I ran a scan on two huge hard disks over the last two days (it's still going on). However, i noticed two main issues in how EIS categorizes threats and how the UI shows them, making it really complicated to understand what is what. In particular, i noticed two problems:

1) The list of the threats as they are found, identifies a lot of files, like files ESET couldn't access, other files with damaged archives as a generic classification of "THREAT".

2) To add up to the issue, the windows showing them often are not resizable. This means that it is not possible to clearly understand what the threat is.

Now, i am pretty sure that ESET will say that there is a way to access a log/report after the scan is done. However, even if so, in case of long scans, people shouldn't be forced to wait for two or three days to see what the threats are (that's how long the scan has been going on to date.

Please see screenshots attached. In my experience, with most other AV suites i tried, threats are categorized clearly, with a prioritization of what the AV considers as a serious threat compared to potential threats. They are also visualized in a clear way in the best designed suites.

I do not think it is the case in this specific occurrence. I am posting this because after several scans i find it really annoying and offputting. Especially if a user doesn't have so much time to devote to threat analysis (which is a job by itself).

In particular: How can i apply a solution if i can't even see what the window is showing and have some insights on the threat?

Eset.png.jpg

Eset2.png.jpg

Edited by PassingBy

• Administrators

1, You can turn on the filter to filter out non-threat related records, such as problems opening files.
2, This is possible in v12.1 which is currently available for testing within the Insider program.

In order to see details about running scans, click "Open scan window" where you will see what threats have been found so far.

1 filter on and out only works when the scan is done, not during it.

2 I don't have the testing version obviously so in the meantime this is how it looks: So, the actionable window is not resizable while asking the user to act on a threat, and the other window doesn't allow for a detailed understanding of what's going on.

I am glad the next version might have it.

I also have issues with the banking module. It simply sends me to a FAQ section of ESET suggesting fixes that don't work. IT doesn't seem to be compatible with my bank in Taiwan.

Eset 3.png.jpg

As far as I am aware of, you can't perform any scan remedial activity until the scan completes.

Edited by itman

11 minutes ago, itman said:

As far as I am aware of, you can't perform any scan remedial activity until the scan completes.

I am not saying you're wrong, nor that you're right. But if you check the screenshots you'll see that there is an ongoing scan on an unit and then ESET asking me what i want to do on the small dialog box for the same unit. But that is not the problem. The problem is that it's all so confusing  that an average user wouldn't know what to do. Also more experienced ones have an issue since they can't clearly see source of the file (folder etc in a clearly readable form) and more details on the threat.

The point is how data is shown in the UI and the lack of a friendly representation and description.

EDIT: indeed you were correct. The scan was done, the progress animation still ongoing and the window remains no resizeable, with the sole post scan log showing the full picture. I maintain it's not very intuitive. Data and action options should live in the same window, with detailed descriptions.

Edited by PassingBy