Chrome suddenly blocked by ESET firewall

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Using ESET ESS 7x on Windows 8.1.  Suddenly this morning, Chrome no longer works when the ESET firewall is turned on.  I'm currently in interactive mode because I've had some problems with ESET quietly blocking things I don't want, but Chrome has been working fine recently.  Only this morning it started getting blocked.  When I turn off the firewall, Chrome works fine.  See attached image of current settings.

How do I get it to work?

post-1246-0-62981600-1391515768_thumb.png

Same issue here, since this morning, I get an "Unable to access the Network" for any tabs in Chrome.

I can only get Chrome to work if I disable the Firewall. Automatic mode or any other modes produce the same issue.

I got exactly the same issue which started today. I launched Google Chrome and I got notified by ESET that something was attempting to modify Chrome, which never had happened with Chrome before, or at least not while I was opening it. So I told ESET to deny the changes, but it gave me a "Failed to read firewall configuration" error. It immediately started blocking Chrome, despite it having the necessary permissions to go through. I haven't tried any other filtering methods nor have I restarted my computer since. I disabled my firewall and chrome works as usual. It's the first time something like this happens to me, and seeing as it happened to other people on the same day, probably around the same time, I'm guessing it's not something I can easily fix without Google or ESET releasing some sort of update or patch. 

Regardless, I'll try restarting my computer and switching filtering modes, although I doubt that'll help.

• Administrators
  • Solution

In interactive mode, ESS may block the communication for a network-aware application as no window with action selection pops up due to a bug. In the advanced setup, navigate to Network -> Personal firewall -> Application modification detection, add the application to the list of exceptions until the issue is addressed in the next v7 build.

I got exactly the same issue which started today. I launched Google Chrome and I got notified by ESET that something was attempting to modify Chrome, which never had happened with Chrome before, or at least not while I was opening it. So I told ESET to deny the changes, but it gave me a "Failed to read firewall configuration" error. It immediately started blocking Chrome, despite it having the necessary permissions to go through. I haven't tried any other filtering methods nor have I restarted my computer since. I disabled my firewall and chrome works as usual. It's the first time something like this happens to me, and seeing as it happened to other people on the same day, probably around the same time, I'm guessing it's not something I can easily fix without Google or ESET releasing some sort of update or patch. 

Regardless, I'll try restarting my computer and switching filtering modes, although I doubt that'll help.

One wild guess is that Chrome got updated wich is why you saw that warning.

I got one last month myself when I was updating Adobe Reader, but since I knew I was updating Adobe Reader I allowed the change to take place. Last time I used Chrome couple years ago it updated automatically in the background so it's possible that's  what happened here too, and something changed wich is why ESET notified you.

I included GoogleUpdate to list of applications excluded from modification detection (since Chrome didn't appear), and restarted my computer. It's all back to normal now, so that wasn't such a big deal after all, I guess.. And yes, a friend told me that Chrome runs the update service in the background when launched. Kind of annoying to have it update without telling you anything but oh well....

I got no such warning, but later in the day, it started working. I made no changes and was never prompted.  It just started working again.  I suspect it has something to do with the Chrome update, but it is not clear.  I will do as Marcos suggested and add it to the list of exclusions for modification protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem. After Chrome updated itself about a week a go, ESS started blocking traffic. When I set ESS to exclude C:\Users\Bart\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe at "applications excluded from modification detection" for that process, Chrome immediately started working normal again. No reboot required.

ESS never gave me a warning about this.

Edited by bartgrefte

• 3 months later...

This problem still exists in ESS 7.0.302.26 and Total Commander 8.51a also gets blocked till I add it to the "applications excluded from modification detection" list.

• Administrators

This problem still exists in ESS 7.0.302.26 and Total Commander 8.51a also gets blocked till I add it to the "applications excluded from modification detection" list.

The latest version of ESS is 7.0.317.4. Please download and install the latest version to see if it solves your issue.

@bartgrefte

You can download the latest version from the website and install it over your current (7.0.302.26) installation.

Edited by SweX

• 9 months later...

One wild guess is that Chrome got updated wich is why you saw that warning.

I got one last month myself when I was updating Adobe Reader, but since I knew I was updating Adobe Reader I allowed the change to take place. Last time I used Chrome couple years ago it updated automatically in the background so it's possible that's  what happened here too, and something changed wich is why ESET notified you.

Just want to know for info, was the FW set to automatic?

Just want to know for info, if the FW is set to automatic then too "application modification detection" when detects program modification gives popup or not i.e allow/block popup or just notifies i.e no allow/block option or no popup & no notification?