Eset taking up a lot of my CPU usage

I have had Eset for a while now and about 4 hours ago I noticed it’s using up 100% of my CPU and I have no clue why. I’ve tried turning stuff off and it hasn’t effected the cpu usage at all. In addition to that, I have tried force closing it in my task manager and it’s saying the access is denied? If you could give me some tips on how to fix this that’d be great!

Thank you.

Edited by Nalon

• Administrators

Does pausing real-time protection or another protection module make a difference? Couldn't it be that you have another AV software, such as MBAM installed?

Disabling my other anti virus software, malware bytes, does not affect the cpu usage on eset. And if by MBAM you mean Malware Bytes, yes I do have it installed. Although I’ve never had this issue before so I’d doubt that’s the reason as to why it’s doing this.

Here's a recent posting on the Malwarebytes forum where an Avast user was having similar issues: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241898-avast-service-high-cpu-and-malwarebytes-web-protection/ . Appears they recently updated MBAM which appears to have resolved that issue. So you might want to try to do the same.

The bottom line is MBAM 3.x is conflicting with a lot of other AV solutions. You should never be running more than one AV in realtime mode. It is recommended that MBAM realtime scanning be disabled and only used a second opinion on-demand scanner.