"knowing the use of --dns-servers using IPs in combination with other command line options/arguements"

perlman

Hi, the option --dns-servers using IPs is irrelavant to me, yet i read on that I could help nmap if used with other options.
I don't get the point. I don't see why ! can U help me ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure i follow your question sir? What is it exactly that you are asking ?

How does DNS work in regards to IP ? Are you asking about how it can be checked in a command prompt ? That would be the command nslookup.

DNS servers are the systems that will give you an IP address when trying to go to a specific URL or Address.

Internally on a private lan you would specify a system to convert hostnames to IP like a domain controller.

On the public web there are Domain servers all over the world that you MUST talk to in order to navigate the internet. 

Large corporations provide these and usually at no cost. Google, Microsoft, OpenDNS, Cloudflare and APNIC, to name a few. Most ISP's have there own as well that they share.

When asking about nmap, that is network scanning and discovery for ports/computers/service/os , its basically used to delve into the network and find out what exists, locate vulnerabilities etc.

You do not need DNS for nmap to work, or you could also use DNS with it to find names and reverse DNS to find addresses. I was able to find the following article clip for you:

By default, Nmap determines your DNS servers (for rDNS resolution) from your resolv.conf file (Unix) or the Registry (Win32). Alternatively, you may use this option to specify alternate servers. This option is not honored if you are using --system-dns. Using multiple DNS servers is often faster, especially if you choose authoritative servers for your target IP space. This option can also improve stealth, as your requests can be bounced off just about any recursive DNS server on the Internet.

• 3 weeks later...