davidpitt

Failing to update Client Agent v6 to v7

Hi,

I've recently upgraded our ERA to v7 (From 6.6) and now trying to get the agents on the clients updated, however I'm running into issues!

I am trying to update Eset Agent from v6.4.283.0 to v7.0.577.0 using the "Security Management Center Components Upgrade"

However on several devices it is failing with the errors below....

Windows event logs show 

---------------------------------------------------------------

The description for Event ID 0 from source era-updater cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

era-updater
Execution finished with 0x643: (0x643), Fatal error during installation

Eset Trace log shows

2019-01-21 16:01:16 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 1c7c]: ReadUpgradeStatus: Upgrade of Agent from version '6.4.283.0' to '7.0.577.0' failed. Unexpected updater service Win32ExitCode 0x435

Any ideas?

Thanks

Could you please search client machine for log named ra-upgrade-infrastructure.log? It will be most probably located in one of system temporary directories, or in standard AGENTs logs directory. It should contain full msiexec log which should help us to diagnose this issue: according your previous post upgrade fails with generic error 1603 ( 0x643).

2 hours ago, davidpitt said:

Have you had chance to look at the log yet?

Thanks

I have forwarded it to colleagues as I was not able to find you what is reason.

Now it seems that problem might be with self-defense, resp. HIPS module that might be blocking AGENT service stop. Is there any special HIPS configuration applied on ESET security product installed on those machines? It is possible to test upgrade on client machine with disabled HIPS (disabled in security product on the same client machine?) - unfortunately it will require reboot between disabling HIPS and upgrading AGENT.

Hi,

Disabling HIPS has worked and Agent got updated.

Checking the policy, there are no special rules in place, other than 2 custom 'Allow' rules for LogMeIn and Hamachi.

All HIPS options are enabled and Filtering Mode is set to Automatic.

I'd prefer not to have to disable HIPS, wait for a restart, push out new agent, enable HIPS again on all devices if there is a fix for this issue?!?

Thanks

Hi,

Would I be better logging this direct with support rather here on the forums?

On 1/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, davidpitt said:

Hi,

Would I be better logging this direct with support rather here on the forums?

I would recommend to open support ticket in the meantime to be sure this issue is properly handled.

It seems that HIPS module is protection AGENT service in way not even upgrade is possible, which is not proper behavior. Maybe @Marcos will know what and how to collect logs from security product so that it can be diagnosed.