Got a question about virus signatures

I finding when I look at virus radar it says 18735 but my mine is at 18734 should I be worried about this and is my computer protected.  Now I restarted my computer and then eset updated to 18735. So do I have to keep restarting my computer or does it just take a while to get downloaded?

I just checked mine and it was 18734 with the last update 5 hours ago. I agree that is way to long for an update to be delivered. I just did a manually update to 18735. BTW - you don't have to do a system restart to do so.

Eset checks for updates hourly. So I really don't know why these update cycles are so long on the weekends.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, itman said:

Eset checks for updates hourly. So I really don't know why these update cycles are so long on the weekends.

Why shouldn't be? There are far less detection engineers on duty during weekends but that's not a problem since the amount of new malware during weekends and fests is very low. Malware writers also take time to rest. Plus you get streamed updates ever few minutes and then there's also LiveGrid that provides quick response to new threats.

je n, ai plus l, antivirus En voici la description: ?? et important, je paye pour deux, pourquoi cette suppression  de votre part ???

Machine translation:
I do not have the antivirus Here is the description: ?? and important, I pay for two, why this removal from you ???

Edited by Marcos
Machine translation added

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hart marcel said:

Machine translation:
I do not have the antivirus Here is the description: ?? and important, I pay for two, why this removal from you ???

First of all, this is an English forum and posts have to be in English in order for moderators and other users to understand you and to be able to answer your question or otherwise help you with an issue.

Also we kindly ask you to not hijack someone else's topics since your question is not related to engine module releases that is discussed in this topic.
Last but not least, we kindly ask you to describe your question in a more eloquent way since it's not clear to me what the question is about. If you don't have an AV yet, install ESET Internet Security (also contains Network protection to protect the machine from attacks from unpatched vulnerable computers) and after the trial period purchase a license.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Why shouldn't be? There are far less detection engineers on duty during weekends but that's not a problem since the amount of new malware during weekends and fests is very low. Malware writers also take time to rest.

That is not the issue.

Using Eset's Virusradar web site as a reference: https://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/ , the 18735 signature update was created at 1/19, 22:00 CET. That equates to 15:00 EST my time. I still had not received the update at 19:00 EST when I then forced the update manually.

If Eset checks for updates on an hourly basis, why was it not pushed to my installation at 16:00, 17:00, or 18:00 EST? That is my question.     

Edited by itman

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

you get streamed updates ever few minutes

Do these Streamed updates work from which version? Here I am using EIS v11, it already has streamed updates?

Edited by Marcos14

• Administrators

Streamed updates are supported as of v12.

As for update18735, I received it automatically on Jan 19 at 21:43 GMT (22:43 CET):

19. 1. 2019 22:43:16;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 18735P (20190119).;SYSTEM

If Eset checks for updates on an hourly basis, why was it not pushed to my installation at 16:00, 17:00, or 18:00 EST? That is my question.     

To find out, this will require troubleshooting if you can reproduce the issue.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

To find out, this will require troubleshooting if you can reproduce the issue.

I know the update checking is working properly since I see the time being updated in the Eset GUI. The connection to Eset update servers is being made since I see the Eset update server URLs showing in my network connection monitor.

My last sig. update today was 12:54 PM EST. It is now 7:22 PM EST and the manually update check is now not pulling down the latest sig. update. And again, this is typical Eset weekend update behavior for me.

-EDIT- I cleared the update cache and was able to manually download the latest sig. update.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

It happens to me also sometimes that virusradar has one version up to date that mine , and when I search manually ESET finds nothing and then after like 10 minutes or so , it will automatically update to the latest signature

It seems that my update server gets the update a little bit late? might be I don't know.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rami said:

and then after like 10 minutes or so , it will automatically update to the latest signature

That's perfectly ok. What would not be ok if the engine constantly doesn't get updates after more than an hour.

• Most Valued Members
27 minutes ago, Marcos said:

That's perfectly ok. What would not be ok if the engine constantly doesn't get updates after more than an hour.

Yes indeed I don't feel bad about it , but I just wanted to report incase there is something wrong with it.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

What would not be ok if the engine constantly doesn't get updates after more than an hour.

Well, this is my case since my average update time is 3 - 4 hours. On the other hand, new  sig. updates are shown with like corresponding frequency on the Virusradar database web site. So I never was concerned about this interval. It is when I receive updates than are greater than 4 hours in frequency is when I get concerned. And this always occurs on the weekends for some reason.   

• Most Valued Members
On 1/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, itman said:

Well, this is my case since my average update time is 3 - 4 hours. On the other hand, new  sig. updates are shown with like corresponding frequency on the Virusradar database web site. So I never was concerned about this interval. It is when I receive updates than are greater than 4 hours in frequency is when I get concerned. And this always occurs on the weekends for some reason.   

Might be the reason of that there are less malware analysis employees at the weekends as Marcos said :

Why shouldn't be? There are far less detection engineers on duty during weekends but that's not a problem since the amount of new malware during weekends and fests is very low. Malware writers also take time to rest. Plus you get streamed updates ever few minutes and then there's also LiveGrid that provides quick response to new threats.

24 minutes ago, Rami said:

Might be the reason of that there are less malware analysis employees at the weekends as Marcos said :

Again, the issue has nothing to do with how frequently Virusradar database signatures are created. The frequency on the weekends is the same as on week days as best as I can determine.

The issue is how often those signature updates are distributed to Eset update servers worldwide. For some unknown reason, it appears the Eset update server assigned to North America is not receiving these updates promptly on the weekends. Or, the server is off-line for an excessive period of time on the weekends.

Edited by itman

Here the last update was made at 4 hours ago, the version of the engine that is installed here is 18755.. While in Virusradar the latest version is 18756. When I turned on the computer ESET checked the updates but found no new version of the database and continued in version 18755. It looks like a bug from version 12 because before it used v11 and Automatic Updates always occurred.

Edited by Marcos14