ESET installation does not detect McAfee during install

Friend of mine installed ESET Smart Security on his new windows 8 machine. He did not realize he had to uninstall McAfee before installing ESET (he is kind of a n00B and didn't want to ask me for some reason). He reports that no where during the install did ESET say it detected McAfee and continued through the install. Of course after real-time kicks in the computer was locked up and could not do anything. As we all know getting into Advanced Boot Options for Windows 8 is a pain in the neck..  and yes we did try Charms. nothing..   comes up..  Run box comes up but does not execute anything. After 6 hardshutdowns was able to get into run box and appwiz.cpl did the trick to uninstall McAfee.

I installed McAfee on my windows 8 Virtual Machine then ran the install of ESET and also did not detect.

Question: Why Is ESET program not detecting the McAfee software that is running resident?

Why is this only happening on windows 8?    I tried to reproduce issue on windows 7 and ESET does detect McAfee fine.

Also does anyone have tips on getting to Advanced Boot Options in Windows 8?   We tried Shift-F8, F8, FN-F8 and nothing.

Also does anyone have tips on getting to Advanced Boot Options in Windows 8?   We tried Shift-F8, F8, FN-F8 and nothing.

Hello,

Use Msconfig tmuster2k.

Hold down the windows key and press R - while on the desktop logged in. Type msconfig, select Boot tab, then Safeboot.

I guess we need some more investigation into windows 8.

I might try the same scenario tonight. :)

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

Please provide as much information about the installed version of McAfee as possible. Since you're able to reproduce it on another Windows 8 machine, please create a SysInspector log and send it to me via a personal message.

Hello,

Use Msconfig tmuster2k.

Hold down the windows key and press R - while on the desktop logged in. Type msconfig, select Boot tab, then Safeboot.

I guess we need some more investigation into windows 8.

I might try the same scenario tonight. :)

System configuration utility never comes up - Waited almost 13minutes and nothing and then system became unresponsive

Thats not good.

Try accessing it manually C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe

Try run as administrator.

Check Task manager, make sure its not running already and stuck in memory.

Run a sfc /scannow with /f parameters multiple times if errors are found.

Try running a chkdsk also to test your file structures and indexing etc.

Msconfig should always open unless your os is severely compromised or corrupt in some way. :)

Please provide as much information about the installed version of McAfee as possible. Since you're able to reproduce it on another Windows 8 machine, please create a SysInspector log and send it to me via a personal message.

You don't have access to a Windows 8 VM to try it on?

• Administrators

The problem is I don't know which McAfee product and version I should install. Please provide the download link to make sure I test it with the very same installer.

The problem is I don't know which McAfee product and version I should install. Please provide the download link to make sure I test it with the very same installer.
McAfee Internet Security OEM version on Dell Windows 8 computer.

• 1 year later...

I see this old thread from more than a year ago. Unfortunately I've been caught with the same problem. I didn't notice an old McAfee install when I installed Eset, and unfortunately neither did Eset! Now the computer becomes unresponsive, and has to be restarted frequently. I can't manage to get the "programs and features" to come up to uninstall, the computer freezes. 

Same Windows 8.1, same McAfee OEM install.

Any tips for resolving this deadlock between the two antiviruses?

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Would it be possible to arrange a remote session with ESET temporarily uninstalled? Detection of McAfee was added months ago so it's weird that it was not detected on your pc. What version of ESET did you install?

I see this old thread from more than a year ago. Unfortunately I've been caught with the same problem. I didn't notice an old McAfee install when I installed Eset, and unfortunately neither did Eset! Now the computer becomes unresponsive, and has to be restarted frequently. I can't manage to get the "programs and features" to come up to uninstall, the computer freezes. 

Same Windows 8.1, same McAfee OEM install.

Any tips for resolving this deadlock between the two antiviruses?

Thanks in advance!

The detection is only present in Version 9.x which is still in Beta. You will have to go into safemode to remove McAfee. When you get to your screen to enter your password then click on the Power Icon at the bottom right and then hold down Shift and click restart. from here you will >> Click on "Troubleshoot"

5. Click on "Advanced Options"

6. Click on "Startup Settings"

7. Click on "Restart"

8. From here you can choose your Safe Mode Option.

If your system does not go to login screen to enter password and goes right into windows then you will have to access the System Config utility within half a minute and do SafeBoot.

Windows key + R and then type:  msconfig.   Click on the boot tab and then check Safeboot and then restart. once in safemode remove McAfee.