New ESET User with a stupid question

Go to solution Solved by Janus,

Hello,

I'm a new user here and have a few quick questions.Does ESET advise disabling IE Smartscreen Filter?I know some suites advise disabling it because they claim it can clash with the included protection components.I am assuming ESET's protection will work with or without Enhanced Protected Mode enabled?I have found Enhanced Protected Mode to be of some value.Things are running great at the moment.Adguard even seems to function well with ESET.I came here with the intent of trying ESET for 30 days on 1 machine and subscribing if all works well.I may just convert al the PC's in my household to ESET if in 30 days I feel as great about things as I do now.Color me very impressed to this point.I look forward to further learning about the product and contributing here as well.

Regards,

Dan

Hello and welcome Dan  :)

Personally I haven't seen any comments in here from any user saying they have to turn it off or else...and not read any ESET KB Article wich says that it's required to turn it off for ESET to work properly. And nothing about it on the ESET main website.

So as far as I know the answer is No you don't need to turn it off.

Great to hear you enjoy the product as much as "we" do, if you want to read a bit about the ESET technology you'll find some facts here: hxxp://www.eset.com/int/about/technology/

See you around Dan  :D

Edited by SweX

• Solution

Hello Dan and wellcome :-))

No Eset does not advise to disabling or enabling "Smart Screen " it's entirely up to you.... eset will work fine whatever you choose, so don't worry.Regarding Enhanced Protected Mode, then is the answer the same as above. I am using IE 11 and I can guarantee you that you can choose whatever settings you what without Eset will interfere. I am using Ie 11 with enhanced protection mode, Activex filtering + smartscreen, and with 64 bit process to enhanced protection enabled, and it run in a perfectly symbiosis with Eset.

Regards Janus

Thank you Janus and Swex for the warm welcome and the very valuable input. I had both items in question disabled until I received some scholarly advice from someone here. I have always found it better to err on the side of caution especially when using something new than to deal with a potential issue.Thanks again for the welcome and advice, and I look forward to helping others as you have me.

Regards,

Dan 

You're welcome Dan, and I forgot to say that your question wasn't stupid at all. They say there are no stupid questions only stupid.... ;)  

Edited by SweX

Dan has an awesome profile picture.

:ph34r:

IT .......

get it ....  ?

Information Technology clown.

I have never seen that avatar before so no I don't get it  :lol:

Google IT by Stephen King ;)

Done  :D

It is a 1986 horror novel by American author Stephen King. The story follows the exploits of seven children as they are terrorized by an eponymous being, which exploits the fears and phobias of its victims in order to disguise itself while hunting its prey. "It" primarily appears in the form of a clown in order to attract its preferred prey of young children.

Pennywise the clown was one of Tim Curry's best roles and IT was one of the better King based programs.Really loving ESET.It's hard to believe it's even running.I had always been meaning to try Eset before as they have always had a great reputation from the devs on down.Some of the brightest minds in the industry work for Eset and post here in the forums and on wilders.I'm glad to be here and hopefully some of the collective knowledge will rub off and I will learn a little something more than I already know.

Hello and welcome Dan. Sorry I am late to the party, but I see my gifted peers have met you at the door! (they really are good).

Like Janus, I run IE11 as well, have both enabled and have had no issues.

Glad you are here! :)

Edited by TomFace

• ESET Insiders

Hello Dan,

Welcome too the forum! I too am a little late to welcome you here...

I use Opera as my main browser but do occasionally use IE11. I do use IE Smartscreen Filter when I run IE11 and never have experienced any issues using it with ESET. I initially used Enhanced Protected Mode and never had any issues with it and ESET either. However, a couple of my IE add-ons that I like to use are not compatible with EPM, so I did end up disabling it. My advice would be to run both  smartscreen and EPM, as long as any add-ons that you use have no issue with EPM. You should see no conflict with ESET whatsoever.

Again welcome!!!