Automatically reboot when needed didn't reboot

JRV

I have a Client Task in ESMC 7.0.577.0 to install ESET File Security for Windows Servers 7.0.12016.0 on 8 servers. It ran overnight last night and installation was successful. However, while the option to "Automatically reboot when needed" was enabled in the Client Task, the reboots did not occur.

I now have 8 servers which ESMC reports I need to reboot, and will need to do so after hours tonight, manually.

I had the same issue with ERA 6.x and posted on this forum about it. I was assured at the time that it would be fixed in 7.x. Any idea when it will REALLY be fixed?

• ESET Staff

Hello @JRV

I have checked it with our QA department, and they have confirmed that various combinations are tested and this works as expected. So something else might be causing the behavior in your case.

Couple questions for the investigation:

1. was it a clean install or an upgrade?
  2. if an upgrade, from which version?
  3. How does the task execution window look inside ESMC? Details?
  4. Can you share the screenshot of either the machine protection status from ESMC or from the machine locally? Where is the "pending reboot" displayed?
  5. Can you ship us the agent trace log, and install log from the affected machine? One would be enough.

@MichalJ, thanks.

I now remember that the reboot DID work the first time I pushed the first 7.0 File Security release after upgrading to ESMC 7.0. The reboot did NOT work when I upgraded from the first 7.0 File Security release to the 2nd, which also occurred after upgrading ESMC from whatever it was to 7.0.577.0. I used the same Client Task for both installs; only thing that changed was the selection from the Repository.

I will be back at this site Wednesday, 19 Dec, and will gather the information you requested at that time.

1. was it a clean install or an upgrade?
    1. Upgrade
  2. if an upgrade, from which version?
    1.  7.0.12014.0
  3. How does the task execution window look inside ESMC? Details?
    1.  image.thumb.png.c2a6d5e2e2ef127e6526b0378d8b1cba.png
    2. The one that shows failure was actually successful...it's on the current version.
    3.  image.thumb.png.7d28868bb7b9db5bece5fc6abe2a4d38.png
    4. image.thumb.png.dedd0a77f7765cd471fe3508a4255ecd.png
  4. Can you share the screenshot of either the machine protection status from ESMC or from the machine locally? Where is the "pending reboot" displayed?
    1. Too late now; all have been rebooted. But in the Computers node in ESMC, they had "!" status and Details showed that they needed a reboot, were identified as "Security Risks" on the Dashboard, etc.
  5. Can you ship us the agent trace log, and install log from the affected machine? One would be enough.
    1.  Attached. Software-install.log appears to be overwritten during each bootup. The servers restarted last night for MS updates, and all were restarted at least once before after the install, so you're not seeing the log current at time of installation; don't know if it will tell you what you need to know.

ESETLOGS.zip

• ESET Staff

I have checked logs from ESMC size and everything seems to be correctly configured, and enabled reboot is passed to installed/upgraded product. Unfortunately I cannot help with diagnostic of product itself.

It is most probably not related to this issue, but I am curious is that you mentions that software-install.log is overwritten on each startup, but that should not happen -> this log is generated only when software installation task is executed. In this specific case, log is from installation started at "12/19/2018  3:00:05". Now I realized that you are using time based/regular triggers for this task, which does not make sense to me. Why would you execute installation of the same package weekly? Also it seem that you are executing it without any randomization, which means at the exact time, all machines in specific group will initiate download and installation of product ...

I misinterpreted what was happening. THe server DID restart last night for MS updates. But if the log is written each time the ESET installer runs, then that's what  I'm seeing, not a result of the computer restart.

The installer runs each week because my site visits are on Wednesdays. Therefore, we want updates (from ESET or MS) to install on Wednesday early AM (02:00 or 03:00) so that if there are any issues, I can address them upon arrival at 08:00. We install on servers EXCEPT hosts at 01:00, hosts at 02:00, so guests can finish before hosts reboot (thereby rebooting guests).

Since the system is small, we don't worry much about 8 servers downloading and installing simultaneously. If there's no new version available, MSI discovers that (I assume...) and aborts the install.

The WSUS model is how ESMC should work. ESMC should show when a new version is available, then I approve it for install, and it gets pushed on a schedule I set. I don't see a way to do that in ESMC, but with limited time at the site, I'm trying to get as close to that as I can. If there's a way to accomplish that without adding more steps, I'm all for it!