agent_x64 msi installation via manual & gpo

• Most Valued Members

I am having some difficulty installing the Agent_x64.msi on the ESMC server (via both GPO policy and manual running using 'msiexec /q /lv ./agent.log Agent_x64.msi ') and have come across some weirdness in the installation process.

After running the installation via GPO, I find an error 1603 for the msiinstaller process in the Event viewer.  When I manually ran the installation and despite it saying it has installed properly, I still don't see the ESMC agent listed in the control panel's appwiz.

After checking, I noticed that there was a new folder in c:.   c:\programdatafolder  that contains all the ESMC agent files.   I even tried doing "msiexec /q /lv ./agent.log /a Agent_x64.msi ERA_ProgramData=c:\ProgramData; but when I ran that I stil get c:\programdatafolder.  I took a look at the agent.log and noticed that at one point, it modifies the CommonAppDataFolder to c:\ProgramDataFolder.  So I set the CommonAppDataFolder=c:\ProgramData  as a property to the msiexec command.

Unfortunately, while it recognizes my property change, it then changes it back to c:\ProgramDataFolder.    I then used Orca to check out the directory paths, and realized that CommonAppDataFolder is set to TARGETDIR, which is Empty.   So I used TARGETDIR=c:\ProgramData; but that just makes the msiexec create a ProgramDataFolder inside the c:\ProgramData.

Thinking about it more, I changed the c:\ProgramData mention to just ProgramData.

And now, it looks like it is installed; but, the ESMC Agent isn't added to the Program and Features list nor is it listed in the registry and installed as a service.  So I'm guessing manually using msiexec isn't the right way.  I tried manually adding the items to the registry (copied them from another server), but installing it as a service

Can someone point out how to fix this?   I think the worst thing I can do is basically download the EXE and run that manually.

Thanks

Edmund

• Most Valued Members

As an addendum (and possible workaround):

I managed to 'fix' this by doing the following:

1.  Downloaded the EsetUninstaller from Eset's webpage. [1]
  2. Boot server to safe mode.
  3. Ran uninstaller to uninstall the Agent.
  4. Rebooted back to normal mode and the GPO policy managed to run properly.

Now, the server is up and running now.  Now on to the clients.

• Most Valued Members

Having struggled with getting the clients to install via GPO, I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.

Here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded the Agents from ESET's website (both x86 and x64).
  2. Created a GPO install_config.ini and saved it (along with the two agent files) to a domain-accessible dir.
  3. Created a GPO policy that installs the Agent (that upgrades the older version)

Now when the user logs on, it should theoretically uninstall the old Agent and after another reboot, it should install the new one.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do that.   While it does take a few minutes to boot up, nothing changed.

The *worst* case scenario is me going to each client and running the same process as mentioned above. [That isn't something I want to do, for obvious reasons].

Might anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Edmund