ESMC 7 - Failed to synchronize package repository

Hello - We are trying to push out Endpoint clients to our workstations that are on slower links. We have several sites that have 20mb (Fiber) and 3mb (Bonded T1) connections. We constantly get "Failed to synchronize package repository. See trace message for more details.". Looking at the trace log we see "GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)". There is nothing wrong with these connections, they are just slower. We have pushed out ESET Endpoint 5 for years to these locations and also push WSUS and other updates routinely. We can push the ESET Agent with no problem, but the moment I try to push Endpoint I get the errors. I found if I try over and over one of the attempts will finally go through, but that is just not practical. I tried clearing the Apache Proxy cache but that didn't seem to help.

Anyone have an ideas?

• Administrators

Since you are from the US, try setting your local US repository manually as per https://support.eset.com/kb6749/.

Also please drop me a personal message with your public IP so that we can check in server logs if redirection to your local repo failed or what the problem was.

Marcos - I sent you a PM.

I also changed the repository per the KB to use the USA repository. I push the Endpoint client to a client on a slow 3mb connection and it succeeded on the first attempt this time. However I then tried to push the Endpoint client to a workstation on a 20mb connection and it's failed multiple times in a row.

Same here, our internet 20mb too, and when want to install Endpoint client with Agent get error: Failed to synchronize package repository

Apache Proxy not caching the installer exe?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Zen11t said:

Apache Proxy not caching the installer exe?

Installers are cached. So if agent downloads an Endpoint installer on one machine, other machines should subsequently get it from the http proxy cache.
We'd need to know your public IP address in order to check server logs for details about the communication. Feel free to drop me a personal message. Also do you restrict access to ESET's infrastructure per https://support.eset.com/kb332/ on a firewall?

Continuing to have a lot of issues with this whole Apache HTTP Proxy cache. After trying to push the ESET Endpoint Antivirus to a location with a 20m connection the other day a dozen times I gave up. I tried again today, and on the first attempt it succeeded and the software is installed. I went ahead and tried another computer at another location with the same 20m connection, and now it's failing over and over again. 6 times in a row with the same error "GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)".

Is there a way to force ESMC 7 to push installation tasks the same way ERA 5 did? ERA 5 has pushed software installation tasks to these exact same remote sites for years without any issues like this. 

I reviewed the Trace logs on the client workstation along with the Apache HTTP Proxy logs, all of which didn't really show any reason for the problem, other than it doesn't work. The trace logs do show the error. I also noticed the error happens within seconds of the task starting the deployment. It's an almost immediate failure before it would even have a chance to really start downloading the installation package.

2018-12-14 21:42:22 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 21:44:22 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 21:47:22 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 21:55:36 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 22:21:28 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 22:27:54 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 22:37:28 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 22:41:25 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)
2018-12-14 23:06:55 Warning: CPushNotificationsModule [Thread 1620]: Failed to configure EPNS resource (retrying in 10240 seconds): Error calling PNS API 'PnsRegisterClient' (return code = 19108)
2018-12-14 23:10:23 Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 6ac]: Software installation failed: GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)

So, just to test. I stopped the HTTP Apache Proxy service, deleted the cache and started the service. I then successfully pushed the ESET Endpoint Antivirus client to the workstation. I then turned right around and tried pushing the client to another computer in the exact same remote location, and once again received the "GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e33)". Clearly something wrong with the Apache HTTP Proxy service on slower links.

Same problem here, so  when client can't download installer within 60 sec apache proxy drop connection?

Can we somehow set proxy timeout time?

Thanks.

I checked the httpd.conf for the Apache HTTP Proxy service and found that they already had the ProxyTimeout set to 900 seconds, but that clearly didn't seem to be working. After looking around on Google, I modified httpd.conf and added "TimeOut 120". My thought was to see if the timeout now happened after 2 minutes so that I could confirm which timeout value was being used. Surprisingly after adding "TimeOut 120", I've been able to successfully push the installer multiple times to one remote location. I'm not sure if this is coincidence, or if that was enough time to solve the timeout issue.

In httpd.conf, near the bottom you will find a ProxyTimeOut 900. I added a Timeout 120 right above it and restarted the service.

ThreadLimit 1500

ThreadsPerChild 1500

CacheLock on

CacheLockMaxAge 10

TimeOut 120

ProxyTimeOut 900

Edited by rockshox

FYI - Confirmed the TimeOut value is being used. I pushed the Endpoint client to a very slow T1 link, the task failed with the same error. Checking the debug log showed the timeout occurred after exactly 2 minutes. I changed the TimeOut value to a much larger number and was able to successfully deploy the Endpoint client to the remote location with the slow link. 

Virtual appliance

ESET Security Management Center (Server), version: 7.0 (7.0.471.0)

ESET Security Management Center (Webconsole), version: 7.0 (7.0.429.0)

Ah ok. Well I'm running a Windows server with standalone install of ESMC so slightly different, but I'm sure the same issue. I believe the Virtual Appliance is running CentOS, so it would require modifying the correct config file and increasing the TimeOut value, but since it's the Virtual Appliance I can't direct you to exactly where that would be.

Maybe someone else can chime in here that knows where the config file is for the Apache HTTP Proxy on the virtual appliance.