Hey chrlshlmnn :-))

The reason why eset keeps blocking CCleaner download from piriform, is because it contains a potentially unwanted program, in this case google toolbar. It is only meant as a extra service, to notify the user that the download contains something else, than is otherwise expected. You know, you always have the opportunity to press no action. I have downloaded ccleaner from piriform.com and it contains no malware whatsoever, just this PUA. (potentiel unwanted programs/software)

Regards Janus

post-65-0-56710600-1390454826_thumb.png

Edited by Janus

• Administrators

Note the "Exclude from detection" box. If checked and you select No action, the PUA won't be detected at the given location on a disk again.

ESET smart security 7 keeps blocking cc cleaner.Thanks

Yes and the reason behind it is what Janus describes above.

But if you download the "slim build" from the link below ESET won't detect any PUA in it because there is none, no strings attached ;)

hxxp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Edit: But of course it's a release day today and I forgot....that the slim build is always released a couple days later than the normal release, don't ask me why but that's the way it is, so if you wait a few days and then visit the link above you will find the slim build right there. I will do that myself actually, version 0.9 works fine so I can wait for it to be published.

I can post in this thread when it's available so you will know. :)

Edited by SweX

There is a Slim version without the bloat that comes out for free users about 5-7days after main update.

I use the paid for version so no bloat but ESS does stop it scanning IE files to clean up and this has been talked about here and on their forums.

I have to disable ESS Protection for a few secs to run the clean up or it stays at the IE files part for ages.

It did not used to do this a while back.

I have to disable ESS Protection for a few secs to run the clean up or it stays at the IE files part for ages.

Yeah it's been doing that for quite some time now during many previous CCleaner builds, but I don't disable the protection i'll wait the 30sec or there about until it's done instead. Not sure if it were Piriform that made some changes in CCleaner or if it is because ESET changed and improved something in the scanner that it takes longer for the IE files.

But since I am on Temp's ignore list along with Arakasi this reply is of no use for him.....

I do not have time for fools or plants/fanboys so will set both you to ignore.

Edited by SweX

After looking on the builds page they seem to not do a slim build anymore, must be since they went premium.

No it's not because of the Premium stuff. It's because version 4.10 was released today, so they took the 4.09 slim build off the site until version 4.10 of the slim build is published on the website in a couple of days, as always a few days after.

Ignore list how useful  :huh:

Edited by SweX

This has nothing to do with PUA's peeps. If you look at his screenshot it says "Potentially Unsafe"..  this is not a PUA.. 

You can go into advanced settings >> Computer - AV and antispware  and then uncheck Potentially Unsafe.  This item will even flag Network Analyzers as Unsafe.

Edited by tmuster2k

The link for the standard download is :      piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard and the .exe that gets launched from this site is  ccsetup410.exe and your .exe was  ccsetup409.exe so you may have clicked on a different Download link from the piriform site.

409.exe is the old installer and 410.exe is the new installer including version 4.10 released today. But the optional "gift" you get with the 409.exe is very likely still in the 410.exe standard installer.  :)

Edited by SweX

After looking on the builds page they seem to not do a slim build anymore, must be since they went premium.

No it's not because of the Premium stuff. It's because version 4.10 was released today, so they took the 4.09 slim build off the site until version 4.10 of the slim build is published on the website in a couple of days, as always a few days after.

Ignore list how useful  :huh:

Thanks SweX, that's what I figured. Plus they probably want to get a few more folks to buy the Pro version (after all they ARE in business to make $) , that could also be part of the slim delay. I'll wait for the slim build-do not like extras (tool bars). 

Edited by TomFace

Thanks, I just assumed they leave the older Slim build on the page but that makes sense.

Still not getting over the fact ESET and CCleaner did not used to mess with each other while cleaning up IE content.

There is probably an expectation that can but it was not needed in the past.

Just an update to let you know that the "Slim Build" is now available on the site: hxxp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Just saw that. Of course the "New version! Click to download..." on the slim tool program face page still takes you to the full load CCleaner Professional page. <_< 

Oh well, to the build page I go.

Edited by TomFace

Just an update to let you know that the "Slim Build" is now available on the site: hxxp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Just saw that. Of course the "New version! Click to download..." on the slim tool program face page still takes you to the full load CCleaner Professional page. <_<

Oh well, to the build page I go.

Yes always go to the builds page so you know what you get  :D

• ESET Insiders

I download CCleaner from Major Geeks who usually have the builds up pretty quickly and will always point their vistors to the slim or mobile version which contains nothing but the CCleaner.exe files (one 32 and one 64 bit). Add to this CCEnhancer and you have a fantastic application that'll clean up just about every known temp file on your PC.

even Majorgeeks can come packed with ######.

When I see it myself, or hear someone say that they have started to get "gifts" in the downloads from Majorgeeks, then I will stop recommending them just as I have with several other download sites. Perhaps you can name an example since this is the first time I have seen anyone say "be cautious" when downloading from MG of all places?

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

I've always DL'd CCleaner from Major Geeks and have never seen a single file packed with anything, let alone 5 number signs ;)

I agree Tom. :)

But in the case of CCleaner, Piriform is the actual dev/source and if you don't chose to download the slim build you know what to expect. And I know another Dev site wich has some bundle in their installer/s too, so only because one knows about the dev site doesn't necessarily mean we can go for it to 100% without a second thought before clicking on the download link, sadly but true. 

And I guess we should thank Piriform for making the slim build available for us to download, without it we would have no choice but to go with the standard installer or portable edition.

Edited by SweX

That is down to luck and can change as I have grabbed files from your favourite site and its loaded with adware even though link claims its clean, ESS will detect it and at times you can unpack the junk using 7-Zip.

I have no clue why on earth anyone would grab files from a 3rd party when the vendor hosts it.

Edited by Temp Member