Issues with OS X client after upgrade

We've upgraded our server to latest version, as well as some OS X clients (agent and av).  I'm encountering the following issues:

1. Splash-screen is displayed at startup. Policy is set (and locked) to not to display splash-screen at startup.
  2. Client 'Protection Status' shows an error and red flag with 'Web and Email' component on the client GUI. Policy is set for Protection Status to only show if Restart is required. Client GUI should not be showing other Protection Statuses.
  3. Web and Email error is appearing in client GUI somewhat consistently after reboots: "Kernel extension required for Firewall was not loaded because of an error. Try to restart macOS or reinstall the product."  Though we have these components disabled by policy, something apparently is not loading correctly at start up.

Also finding that systems are showing a green check in the status column, despite having active threats:

image.png.204204e2cf71a97a712674e0ca556ef4.png

Properties of the client reflect the unresolved threats:

image.png.67a2555e271b4390e91879ab93e227a5.png

• ESET Staff

Hi @j-gray The last behavior is intentional. Unresolved threats do not affect the status of the application. Application is working properly, however threats are reported.

With regards to the splash screen, issue is, that on the first startup of a newly installed version, this starts with default values before the configuration is applied, meaning splash is displayed. This should not re-occur on the other startup of the application. We are currently discussing a complete change of the splash screen behavior.

Concerning the protection status. Can you post a screenshot of what is reported locally, and how is your policy configured? Does this issue persist after the restart of the machine?

Screenshot of the last issue would help as well. I will send it over to our QA to replicate / validate.

Thank you,

Michal

8 hours ago, MichalJ said:

Hi @j-gray The last behavior is intentional. Unresolved threats do not affect the status of the application. Application is working properly, however threats are reported.

With regards to the splash screen, issue is, that on the first startup of a newly installed version, this starts with default values before the configuration is applied, meaning splash is displayed. This should not re-occur on the other startup of the application. We are currently discussing a complete change of the splash screen behavior.

Concerning the protection status. Can you post a screenshot of what is reported locally, and how is your policy configured? Does this issue persist after the restart of the machine?

Screenshot of the last issue would help as well. I will send it over to our QA to replicate / validate.

Thank you,

Michal

@MichalJ Thanks for the reply.

Behavior is counter-intuitive; the client shows red exclamation indicating a security risk, but console shows green check indicating good status. I would not want to see a green/good status if security risks are present and unresloved.

The splash-screen appears at every reboot.

Regarding Protection Status, tray icon and gui status looks like this:

image.png.913d7666f14f7a31718427c829d66588.png

Protection Status policy looks like this:

image.png.2bb943521c4347c623721e57ae27d669.png

Issue reproduces intermittently. Client was working properly and I just rebooted to verify splash-screen is still appearing on reboot. Client came up with the error. Reboots in the past have resolved the error, but it recurs randomly on subsequent reboots.

I've created a case for the kernel extension error (#216378). Unfortunately, I was informed this is a known issue with no ETA for fix.

We'll be halting our upgrade rollout for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Former ESET Employees

Hi J-gray,

we're looking into these issues and splash screen as well as kernel extension error will be fixed within next update planned for beginning of the new year.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:31 AM, Matus said:

Hi J-gray,

we're looking into these issues and splash screen as well as kernel extension error will be fixed within next update planned for beginning of the new year.

@Matus Are you saying the splash-screen issue is known?  I have a case open (#216348) and support has advised that this is not a known issue.

• Former ESET Employees
On 1/2/2019 at 6:16 PM, j-gray said:

@Matus Are you saying the splash-screen issue is known?  I have a case open (#216348) and support has advised that this is not a known issue.

Yes, it's known and will be fixed in upcoming update. Seems that there is some miscommunication. We're sorry.