Epson printing broken by your software

g8rbait

I bought an AV not a firewall system on purpose, but your AV acts like a freaking firewall.  My epson printer worked great wirelessly until I installed your NO OPEN DOOR AND WE NAILED ALL THE DOORS SHUT software on my system.  I have an Epson Artisan 837.  It is 12:45.  I teach at 7:20 in the am.  The printer was working magically until your software came along.  I have gone in to advanced settings and told your software to allow every Epson file in the world to work and nothing.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled the Epson software and nothing.  I even supposedly turned off your software and still NOTHING.

If anyone has any advice how to make a freaking antivirus let my system go so that it can print, please let me know.  

• Administrators

Disabling one of the protection modules must have helped if EAV was actually somehow involved in the issue. Did you try disabling HIPS and restarting the computer? What about renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode? If it doesn't help, does uninstalling EAV actually makes a difference?

Hi g8rbait,

If you are printing with wireless technologies then your printer is setup through your router.

I would be interested to see where you added the exclusions for Epson files, as there are multiple sections for exclusions. Adding just the folder should be sufficient.

Since this could be network based, and you did not install ESS, have you checked Windows firewall ?

Also it may be a better solution to add the router/gateway address and or the IP of the printer (since its wireless) into the protocol filtering for applications and/or protocol filtering for excluded IP's.

Let us know your findings. :)

Disabling one of the protection modules must have helped if EAV was actually somehow involved in the issue. Did you try disabling HIPS and restarting the computer? What about renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode? If it doesn't help, does uninstalling EAV actually makes a difference?

I disabled HIPS and still I get nothing.  I will try out the renaming thing and get back to you.  FYI, if I do not turn on gamer mode before I start, I cannot join a server in BF4 and I cannot update punkbuster.  Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Once I uninstalled NOD32, I have had no issues connecting to BF4, but the Epson issue continues and it gets more strange.  I can connect just fine via my wifi connector on my system, but when I try to connect through lan I get nothing.   Any ideas?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would recommend contacting ESET support at +1 (866) 343-3738 [toll-free in the US and Canada] so that a support engineer can help you further troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Administrators

To troubleshoot the issue with connecting BF4 to game servers, please contact Customer care. The other issue seems to be unrelated to ESET as it persists even after uninstalling the ESET product.

• 6 months later...

I encountered the same problem with my Epson XP-410 printer after upgrading to Smart Security 7. After going into advanced setup... network... personal firewall and changing filtering to "learning mode," I still could not print. I contacted Epson and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson XP-410. I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties printing.

Although you may have tried some of these steps, I believe it will resolve your issue if you follow all of the instructions.
  1. Press the home button, if necessary.
  2. Press the left or right arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button.
  3. Press the up or down arrow buttons to select Wi-Fi Settings and press the OK button.
  4. Press the arrow buttons to select Confirm Wi-Fi Settings and press the OK button.
    Note: If you are connected to a network, the signal strength is also displayed.
  5. Press the start_icon.jpg start button to print the network status sheet.
If the printer does not have an IP address (0.0.0.0) or if the IP address is invalid (169.x.x.x), please respond to this email without continuing with the steps below. Respond with the IP address and gateway address of the printer.
If the printer has a valid IP address (192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x), write down the IP address displayed on the LCD. We need to re-add the printer manually. Please follow the steps below.
  1. On your computer, click Start  > Devices and Printers
  2. Under Devices and Printers, right click on your printer icon then click on Remove Device.
  3. Click on any icon listed under Printers and Faxes then click on Print Server Properties.
  4. Click on Ports tab.
  5. Look for EpsonNet Print port that indicate the IP address of your printer. Select it then click on Delete Port.
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Click Add Printer.
  8. Select Add a Local Printer, then click Next.
  9. Click Create a new port and on Type of Port select EpsonNet Print Port.
    • If you see your printer select your printer then Next.
    • If you don't see your printer select Manual Setting then click Next.
      • Enter your printer's IP address then click Next.
      • Click on Finish.
  10. Under manufacturer select Epson and under printer select your printer then click Next.
  11. Select default printer then click Next.
  12. Select Do not share this printer then click Next.
  13. Select Yes to print a test page then click Next.
  14. Click Finish.
  15. Try printing again.

This worked for me. I hope others find it helpful.
Edited by hanDle