Can I install new version "on-top" of my older version?

I noticed that ESET Internet Security Version: 12.0.31.0 was released today. 
My current version is 12.0.27.0.
Can I install new version "on-top" of my older version and keep all rules and settings? 

Best regards

• ESET Staff

hello @elle

To keep your settings and make the easy the update you can go to "Updates" and hit to search for any updates and new versions.
If a new versión is not show just wait, will be there soon.
Even is you don't do anything our last versions of Home product has an auto-update related to the version. After install you just will be ask to reboot the system from inside ESET.

Note: I don't know if your country has an special setting by ESET, so far in my region what I say happens.

Eset, now you have done it ...

Some time ago I noticed a prerelease was available, but I decided to wait. Got the new one today: version 12.0.31.0. Disappointing description.

So I checked again. Yes, there is another prerelease waiting ... This time I´m curious !

There is one "glitch" I found in regards to in-product Eset upgrades.

If you perform an Eset repair installation via Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs option, Eset reverts back to the last version that was off-line installed. For example if you manually installed Eset ver. 11 and in-product upgraded to ver. 12, after the repair installation, you're back to ver. 11. You then have to perform an in-product upgrade to get to the latest Eset version. I find this very odd behavior.

See my previous post above ...

I decided to download and install the prerelease. Very strange. Something was downloaded and installed and it looked like modules (a number of '30')  were updated. But I'm still having the same version number ! I suspect that's not how it's supposed to be ? Module numbers seem unchanged.

I know the policy of not commenting on prereleases ...

Edited by esset

1 hour ago, Gonzalo Alvarez said:

hello @elle

To keep your settings and make the easy the update you can go to "Updates" and hit to search for any updates and new versions.
If a new versión is not show just wait, will be there soon.
Even is you don't do anything our last versions of Home product has an auto-update related to the version. After install you just will be ask to reboot the system from inside ESET.

Note: I don't know if your country has an special setting by ESET, so far in my region what I say happens.

Hello! 

Thanks, that worked like a charm, can't get any easier than that! 

Now ESET shows 12.0.31.0

I was asking because I thought I'd had to uninstall the old version before doing a complete version update. 

Wasn't it like that at some point, some time ago? 

I'm in Sweden but have the english language in ESET.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Installation over older versions is fully supported.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, itman said:

If you perform an Eset repair installation via Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs option, Eset reverts back to the last version that was off-line installed. For example if you manually installed Eset ver. 11 and in-product upgraded to ver. 12, after the repair installation, you're back to ver. 11. You then have to perform an in-product upgrade to get to the latest Eset version. I find this very odd behavior.

That's because you first installed ESET using a bootstrapped installer which in fact runs an msi installer in the background. The msi installer is then kept in c:\windows\installer folder and is run if you choose to repair the installation.

Since upgrade to newer versions is typically carried out via uPCU updates (ie. not the whole msi installer is downloaded and only differential files are), the repair feature of the msi installer cannot install the very latest version to which you've upgraded via uPCU. Moreover, uPCU upgrade is typically performed throughout various versions, e.g. 11.0 (bootstrapper / msi) -> 11.0 (uPCU) -> 11.1 (uPCU) -> 12.0 (uPCU), etc. We had been considering disabling the repair feature for this very reason in the past.