interface getting more confusing

Hi, I have been using eset products ever since I can remember. The trend I am seeing however is that the interface is getting more and more confusing. Settings are now hidden all over the place. I don't understand why there can't be a single settings location where all settings are located. 

For example, in ESS 4.x you would go to the advanced settings > personal firewall and all your firewall settings would be there. From there you could go to 'rules and zones' and change the protection mode of your computer in the network from public to home/office. Now when you go to advanced settings (in eset internet security) that option is no longer there. Instead you have to go to the start screen > setup > network protection > connected networks > and press the cog wheel to do that. Or am i missing something?

Why are things being moved around so much each version? I also don't understand why when I go to start screen > Tools, there is only 'connected home monitor', 'banking', and 'anti theft' showing, and the rest of that screen real estate is bare. But no, I have to press 'more tools' down the bottom to show all the other more important tools like quarantine, log files etc.

I feel at times that eset are purposefully hiding things away and making things more complicated for no reason.

Maybe it's just me... Fantastic product BTW.

• Administrators

Why are things being moved around so much each version?

I'd disagree with this statement. The interface hasn't changed much since v9 which was released several years ago. ESS v4 that you were referring to was released in 2008.

Well, here another user who started with ESS 4 and I fully agree with Freesolo. His example concerning the Tools is spot on. It's absolutely ridiculous to show only three tools. 

On 11/29/2018 at 12:07 PM, freesolo said:

I don't understand why there can't be a single settings location where all settings are located.

I have to agree with this;

Just an example about the "Threatsense parameters" : No cleaning/Normal cleaning/Strictly cleaning .

An user has to set up this in at least 8 places ; it is very unlikely that somebody will want "no cleaning" in certain situation and "strictly cleaning" in another situation. To be honest, every time I set-up ESET I was in doubt that I did it right or I missed something somewhere....

Edited by novice

• Administrators

One cannot satisfy 100% of users. Some people like gui, some not. If we changed it, the others would like it but the rest would not. People generally like the granularity of settings but obviously some don't. If we reduced the settings to the bare minimum, some people would like like it but the majority wouldn't.

Marcos, why initially show only three tools when all eleven tools fit easily in the window? Are you suggesting that some users prefer a clean, empty gui instead of a usable one?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

There are all sorts of users with all sorts of skill and comfort levels.  Some immediately press F5 and go into the Advanced settings and tweak everything to their hearts' delight, others do not want to do anything at all beyond going through the installation of the software—which they prefer to do in as few clicks as possible.  ESET has to balance the needs of millions of users with differing ideas about what is correct… for them.  Overall, I think ESET does a good job of being fair to all users in terms of user experience, but that does mean there are still going to be some at both ends of the tech spectrum where things are not ideal for them.  For those folks, I think ESET does at least manage to make the amount they have to change bearable, but ESET is always open to constructive feedback about how to make things even better.

The feedback about having to configure cleaning in multiple places through the UI is noted. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky