EES 7 computer restart recommended

EES 7 was recently updated from 7.0.2073.1 to 7.0.2091.0 and ESMC started prompting me that users' computers need to be restarted before updates can be installed. I was a little surprised that I had to manually reboot the computers either physically or through ESMC's reboot function before updates can be installed. Even if the computers are turned off at the end of the day they didn't count as restarts. Am I missing something obvious or is this by design?

• Administrators

You can restart machines automatically if you choose so in a software install task. This is not recommended if people work on machines when sending the task to clients.

image.png

Yes, I figured I don't want the clients to automatically reboot since users may be working, but then all the clients became waiting to be restarted even after computers had been switched off and rebooted.

Edit: In some cases the upgrades are successful, but esmc still prompts that clients should be restarted.

Edited by FRiC

• Administrators

What operating system is on clients? In case of Windows 8 or 10, a hybrid shutdown or restart is not enough and machines must be actually restarted, not just waken up.

7 hours ago, FRiC said:

EES 7 was recently updated from 7.0.2073.1 to 7.0.2091.0 and ESMC started prompting me that users' computers need to be restarted before updates can be installed. I was a little surprised that I had to manually reboot the computers either physically or through ESMC's reboot function before updates can be installed. Even if the computers are turned off at the end of the day they didn't count as restarts. Am I missing something obvious or is this by design?

disable fastboot in windows 10. 

Thanks for the help, the fast startup setting was it. I thought I remembered there's a setting in Win 8/10 but couldn't remember what it was. But then I think the "automatically reboot PC if necessary" option should also reboot the PC before performing the upgrade, so it won't be stuck at waiting for restart.

Edited by FRiC