ESMC Agent and ESET Endpoint compatibility with XP and Server 2003

Hello,

I'm sorry to resurrect very old OSes, but my production environment is crawling to Windows 10 at an appalling speed. Changes are being done, but both management and staff are pulling hard on the handbrake. In the meantime, it is paramount that old equipment is protected as well as possible, and this brings me to the following questions.

I'm getting some strange errors when trying to install the latest Agent on some Server 2003 machines via ESMC:

"Impossibile eseguire attività: Il pacchetto dell’archivio con riferimento non è disponibile"

which should approximately translate to "Could not execute planned task: referred archive packet not available". I could not find an error code (maybe I didn't see the correct page in ESMC: if it's there, please point me to it).

These servers are marked as Outdated in ESMC, and another 2003 server updated successfully both AV and Agent, so I suppose they should upgrade too. I always update the Agent before the AV: can I try upgrading the AV before the Agent? What do I do to avoid the error?

Moving to the latest ESET Endpoint: while ESMC reports XP clients with Endpoint 6.6 as current, some were manually installed with 7.0.2073.1, but upgrade to the latest version seems to fail both via ESMC and ESMC integrated installer packages. Is XP somewhat supported in EE 7 or is it better to leave/downgrade these clients at 6.6?

Thank you!

• ESET Staff

Could you please try to manually upgrade to AGENT v7 on one of those systems to verify it will be successful? Could you verify that AUTOSELECT repository is used in problematic AGENTs configuration. This specific error means that there is either no package for your operating system, something is not properly configured. I would recommend to concat official ESET support, as they will known what logs are required - especially in case this affects only specific systems.

1 hour ago, database said:

These servers are marked as Outdated in ESMC, and another 2003 server updated successfully both AV and Agent, so I suppose they should upgrade too. I always update the Agent before the AV: can I try upgrading the AV before the Agent? What do I do to avoid the error?

Yes, you can update Endpoint product, it is fully manageable even using older AGENT (i.e. using 6.5).

1 hour ago, database said:

Moving to the latest ESET Endpoint: while ESMC reports XP clients with Endpoint 6.6 as current, some were manually installed with 7.0.2073.1, but upgrade to the latest version seems to fail both via ESMC and ESMC integrated installer packages. Is XP somewhat supported in EE 7 or is it better to leave/downgrade these clients at 6.6?

If I recall correctly, currently only EES/EEA 6.5 declares full support for Windows XP/2003, and that is why this version should be reported as latest for those systems.

2 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Could you please try to manually upgrade to AGENT v7 on one of those systems to verify it will be successful? Could you verify that AUTOSELECT repository is used in problematic AGENTs configuration. This specific error means that there is either no package for your operating system, something is not properly configured. I would recommend to concat official ESET support, as they will known what logs are required - especially in case this affects only specific systems. /snip

Thanks MartinK.

I know that I can manually install the new agent downloading it from the ESET website, but would it keep the existing configuration? Asking because in a similar scenario I got duplicate clients in ESMC - I overwrote the existing agent distributed via ESMC with one from an integrated installer package (generated by the very same server).

Also could you please point me to some how-to about retrieving the Agent configuration? Can I do this on the client (rsop style)? I know I can see what policies are applied within ESMC, but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

Maybe the message has something to do with the "bitness" of those systems? Server 2003 is quite cryptic about it being 32 or 64...

Thank you for all your other inputs too.

Update: yesterday 2 of the servers updated successfully: a mixture of pending updates with associated reboot, and insufficient disk space on C:\ was leading to the failure.

Procedure was as follows:

- Perform disk cleanup on C:\ (from This PC > right click on C:\ > Properties)
- Empty C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Check for Microsoft Updates, apply the important updates, and reboot
- From ESMC, upgrade your ESET product allowing automatic reboot (do not run the failed task again, just click the Upgrade ESET Products on the installed apps page in ESMC)
- Wait for the server to come back online in ESMC
- From ESMC, run an Upgrade ESMC components task (do not rerun the failed task, click on the PC name and select Upgrade ESMC components from recent tasks).

The last 2003 server was given this treatment, but the upgrade is failing due to unstable Internet link at this remote location. Our ISP is looking into it and should solve the issue today.

Edit: After the ISP intervention I could upgrade the Agent via ESMC Server task. Since the AV install was still failing ("archive packet synchronization error"), I downloaded the package from the ESET website and installed manually (without uninstalling the previous version). After restarting, the Agent took control of the new version and everything appears to be fine in ESMC.

Edited by database
Info on last server