[UPDATE: Fixed in 6.7.400] Cyber Security is Blocking my system's Accessibility Features in Security and Privacy

[UPDATE: The issue is addressed in 6.7.400 and I found it released in official download website!]

Hi All!

I am a user of Cyber Security Pro who has been using ESET for many years. Recently I got a new MacBook Pro (15, Retina, 2018), and configured it to macOS Mojave 10.14.1

Then I tried to install Cyber Security Pro. It was installed successfully, but when I continued to install other apps, I find that with Cyber Security Pro, the settings in

System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility was affected by the program.

When I try to install some other apps that require access to Accessibility features, say CleanMyMac or Chrome or DuetDisplay, a window asking for accessing Accessibility features pops up and directs me to this window. But then I could not add that app to allowed applications. (see pic-1)

It took me some time to figure out that it was caused by ESET, by finally uninstalling Cyber Security Pro. I could see all apps that require accessibility again. (see pic-2).

Then I did several tests:

• I tried manually add an app there, it does not work
  • I tried disabling firewall, the issue persists.
  • I tried Cyber Security, it does not cause this issue.
  • I tried reinstalling Cyber Security Pro after uninstalling Cyber Security, the issue was gone before restart. But after one reboot the problem reemerged.
  • Cyber Security Pro is always on my late 2013 MBP running Mojave, the problem does not happen.
  • Cyber Security Pro is on another friends' 2017 MBP, no issue.

Thus I doubt it is Cyber Security Pro that is causing the problem on my device. This is a strange problem, I just wonder if someone else has seen the problem and possibly provide some solutions to it?

Thank you all very much!

pic-1.png

pic-2.png

Edited by JohnReddy

Hello,

I have exactly same problem with ESET Endpoint Security on Mojave 10.14.1. If ESET is installed, you can not add new applications to the "Accessibility" menu. If I try, all items will disappear and nothing will be saved.

If I uninstall ESET, it seems that everything works again.

I think it is bug and I hope that ESET will fix it soon.

I have the same probleme, with the Accessibility Features after installing Cyber Security Pro on my new MacBook Pro 13 (Retina, 2018). On my old MacBook Pro (2015) is everything ok. But I remember, that Ihad this probleme also on my old Macbook Pro, but I have no idea, how I solved the probleme.

I hope that someone can help us.

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

The issue is tracked as a bug. As soon as we have some news from developers, we'll let you know.

Thank you Marcos! 

A quick update:

I found out that this is due to ESET Cyber Security Pro requesting permissions on the “Automation” (the second segment after accessibility features with a Gear icon in this page) for controlling System Preferences. If I uncheck that item, I get the control to accessibility features back.

I am not sure why Cyber Security Pro need that permission, and what should users do if they want to add some app to accessibility under that permission...  hopefully dev team can give us a clarification or fix on that!

11 hours ago, JohnReddy said:

Thank you Marcos! 

A quick update:

I found out that this is due to ESET Cyber Security Pro requesting permissions on the “Automation” (the second segment after accessibility features with a Gear icon in this page) for controlling System Preferences. If I uncheck that item, I get the control to accessibility features back.

I am not sure why Cyber Security Pro need that permission, and what should users do if they want to add some app to accessibility under that permission...  hopefully dev team can give us a clarification or fix on that!

Second update:

This is VERY ANNOYING...

I restarted the device again thinking problem solved, but after restart, the problem emerged again, even with the automation unchecked. 

I have to uninstall ESET again, and now the problem is gone (again).

I have so many years subscription with ESET and just bought another 3 years thinking it a great service...

Please fix this bug as soon as possible. I would really appreciate it!

This is a major problem for my organization as we just move several users to Macs and this is causing major headaches. Has us looking at options, which we do not want to do. Please fix asap.

I'm having the same problem. I have recurring need to reinstall ESET Cyber Security Pro plus can't add additional products (Carbonite) to Full Disk Access.  I am very close to dumping ESET Cyber Security Pro and getting a different product that doesn't require me to reinstall and restart 4 times.  My subscription is up in May 2019 - hope to see a resolution very soon.

Edited by marietay
grammar

I am also having this problem, though not with ESET Cyber Security, but rather with ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Mac.  We use this product for PCs in our office, but the one Mac we have also has EEA installed (the Mac version, of course) and is experiencing the same problems described by others.  I finally removed ESET from the system and after a reboot it is back to normal.  I'd much rather have it installed though than going with a different product for this system, so I'm anxiously awaiting a fix. 

Hi! I created my account for this forum just for this topic!

I too am experiencing the exact same problem. When I uninstall Eset then reboot, I'm able to view and add apps to the Accessibility permission pane under "Security & Privacy" settings in the "System Preferences" app.

I use Eset on ALL my very many home and office devices and install it on all my family member's devices as well. This is a pretty big and significant issue from my point of view. No Anti-Virus, in fact, no program whatsoever, should interfere with the native operation of the OS's system preferences and security settings. It's because this is such an outlandish idea - i.e. that Eset would be the cause of this type of interference with OS system settings - that it didn't occur to me that this may be the cause of the problem.

I called Apple support and it was they that advised me that an anti-virus/firewall program may well cause such an issue and THAT'S when I decided to try uninstalling Eset.

I truly hope that this issue gets fixed ASAP!!! Please help!

For now, I've uninstalled Eset and am using OSX's firewall.

Hi, I got my new MacBookPro 15" last month and also have this problem.

In the "Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility", the right-hand-side "Allow the apps below to control your computer" are blank.

Then I uninstalled Cyber Security Pro and restart my MacOS, my apps appear in the right-hand-side immediately.

Could you please fixed it ASAP? Thanks.

It happened the same to me. I have to uninstall ESET in order to  grant disk access to  new apps, later I have to install ESET once again.

It is very embarrassing.

Up to now I have not  found any solution to this problem....

Dear Eset Team,

Any update on this topic? I'm not so satisfied with paying for Antivirus and not to be able to use it because of this issue.

Can you provide an update please? When fix will be released or to provide some other solution (workaround)?

Thanks!

Dear Eset Team

Same issue for me here.

I even excluded /Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db from scanning as this is the database that holds the information on "Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility" to no avail. 

The only thing to fix this is uninstalling ESET Cybersecurity Pro.  My computer is now unprotected so a fix for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Happened to me as well. What I did was to use the CyberSecurity instead of the CyberSecurity Pro. This resolved the issue. It seems that the problem is with the Firewall component of the Pro version.

It happened. but this time, after i launched an app (FluidBrowser) that requires accessibility feature.

Anyway I reverted back to 6.6.300.2. Will see how it goes.

Edited by Mayo98

• Administrators

We have an internal beta version addressing all known issues ready for testing. If you are willing to try it out, please let me know.

5 hours ago, Mayo98 said:

It happened. but this time, after i launched an app (FluidBrowser) that requires accessibility feature.

Anyway I reverted back to 6.6.300.2. Will see how it goes.

Old version works flawlessly.  I will probably wait for the version after the current latest before installing it. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, ShadowNetworks said:

It took me a few days to finally find this thread (thought I was losing my mind). If this was a known issue for a month, why hasn't it yet been addressed in a production release? I'm willing to beta/RC verify.

As you can see, we are about to release a fixed build soon, by the beginning of the new year in particular. Fixing particular issues may not be always trivial and it has taken several weeks to address the reported issues and test new builds.