Xiaomi phones vs Parental control

I'm having significant problems with Parental control on 3 Xiaomi phones (1 x Redmi 4X, 2 x Redmi 5 Plus). Typical issues are:

• regularly getting notifications about my kids asking for additional time (request not sent by them)
  • task switching not possible, tapping task switch button pops up parental PIN pad.

This has been mildly annoying through the last couple of weeks/months and these symptoms tended to come and go. However currently one of the phones (a 5 Plus) is pretty much unusable as opening any app pops up a full-screen window with an open envelope and an oval OK button with a checkmark but otherwise no text whatsoever. Tapping OK does nothing (the button reacts but that's it). Sometimes the app screen will be displayed for a second before the full-screen window is drawn over it. Of the standard system soft keys (home, back, task switch) the latter may or may not be displayed, the other two always. Pressing home does what it should, the task switcher will lock the screen.

I've tried all remote options I could think of (enabling vacation mode, turning off app & web protection) from both PC and phone. Only the latter confirms sync to the device but it still behaves the same. I have painstakingly entered my parental PIN on the device but have been unable to perform any tasks in the app. Also unable to revoke device manager privileges from Parental Control due to the pop-up. 

At this point my only option seems to be wiping phone data (factory reset) from the recovery menu. I have cleared the system cache and have applied a MIUI 10 update that was pending, but no change. I have been using Parental Control on my kids' previous devices with no issues. As a matter of fact it's on a fourth device as well, an old Nexus 7 tablet and it works just fine there.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Similar irritating problems . 

Do eset have solution for this. ?

Most of my kids has Xiaomi phone only. I am feeling now useless to have eset parental app bcz it does not work properly and automatically parental control gets off also. 

If eset has any solution let me know soon. Else looking for an alternative. 

Thank you

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

It seems that Xiaomi stops various programs from running in the background in order to improve their device's battery runtime. 

Can you try following the steps listed in https://dontkillmyapp.com/xiaomi and see if that helps?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Meine Kinder haben auch alle xiaomi Handys - Mi A2, ein typisches Einsteigerhandy und deshalb in unserem Bekanntenkreis gerne für Kinder genommen.

Ich teste die  elterliche Kontrolle App. Ich habe jetzt mehrere Tage täglich Warnungen erhalten, das Limit für die Spiele-Apps. Und wieso ist die App nur mit Mobilfunk optimal konfiguriert? Wir schalten den Mobilfunk ab, weil meine Kinder nur mit WLAN surfen sollen.

Ich werde noch weiter testen und berichten. 

nachtrag: irgendjemand ändert hier meine Beiträge, und zwar so, dass man den Sinn nicht mehr versteht - hmmm ....

Zweiter Nachtrag: auch nach erneuter Korrektur wurden bestimmte Wörter einfach gestrichen. ich glaube nicht, dass ich hier noch einmal poste ...

Edited by Sirus
Fehlerkorrektur

• ESET Insiders
2 hours ago, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

It seems that Xiaomi stops various programs from running in the background in order to improve their device's battery runtime. 

Can you try following the steps listed in https://dontkillmyapp.com/xiaomi and see if that helps?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, they did it by default in their MIUI. In order to enable some app to work in background you need to go to their security app and enable needed app to startup automatically, in this case this app will work in background. I enabled Eset to run in background by this method on my Xiaomi smartphone.