Irratic Off-Line Scan Behavior

Internet Security ver. 12.0.27

This behavior has been going on for a while. For example, I ran a scan on 11/15/2018 and it scanned 241,797 files in 2:09 mins.. I ran a scan a hour ago and it scanned 332,423 files and took 18:09 mins. In other words, the most recent scan included approx. 1/3 more files but took 9 times longer to complete.

One possible explanation is I have the continuous scanning option enabled. As noted above, the most recent scan occurring in the morning about a hour after boot time. The faster scans were run in the mid-afternoon when the PC was running for 6 hours or so after boot time.

So is the explanation for this variance in number of files scanned and time related to the continuous scan element? It seems logical to me to assume so since continuous scanning would have already scanned a large number of files prior to manually initiated scan.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Not sure what you meant by "continuous scanning option", there's no such setting in ESET's products. If modules were updated between the scans, the scan cache would have been reset so more files would be scanned the next time.

You could perform scans with elcs.exe which doesn't take advantage of the local cache and therefore should always scan the same number of files.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Not sure what you meant by "continuous scanning option", there's no such setting in ESET's products.

Idle-state scan option.

My assumption is this is basically a Smart scan that runs every day when the system is in an idle state. I assume If not in an idle state, the scan is paused and resumes scanning upon return to idle state.

Edited by itman