Beyond Trust

How will ESMC and the associated Endpoints (v7) react to having the ESMC root/admin password changed on a periodic basis? If anyone has done this before a heads up would be most appreciated.

Background:

Our parent company is insisting that all linux based root/admin accounts are to be managed by a "Beyond Trust" device. Essentially it will log in (via ssh) to our ESMC instance and periodically change the root/admin password. After that, in order to use the root/admin account, I'll have to connect to the Beyond Trust device which will then log me in over ssh without revealing the password.

Thanks

Dave

• ESET Staff

Just to be clear, you mean SSH root access to ESMC Appliance? If so, it will have no impact on ESMC functionality -> we have even disabled SSH completely by default in latest release of ESMC Appliance 7.0.72.0 (it has to be enabled explicitly using console menu). Only scenario where root access is used is during so called "Appliance migration" where it is used to obtain dump of database.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick response. I do mean root access via SSH, but the Admin account used in the web interface seems (I may be wrong) to share the same password. Is this the case? We authenticate via the web using our own AD accounts, I just want to be sure before Beyond Trust owns the ESMC and I need to rebuild it again.

Thanks

Dave

• ESET Staff
50 minutes ago, Dave Doran said:

Thanks for the quick response. I do mean root access via SSH, but the Admin account used in the web interface seems (I may be wrong) to share the same password. Is this the case? We authenticate via the web using our own AD accounts, I just want to be sure before Beyond Trust owns the ESMC and I need to rebuild it again.

During appliance initialization, both root password and Administrator passwords are the same, but they are not synchronized, so you can/have to change them separately.