PROOF that NOD32 v7 is a resource hog

Super_Spartan
Go to solution Solved by Aryeh Goretsky,

NOD32 used to be the king of light AVs, every version kept getting crappier and crappier until the horrible and buggy v7 was released! heck, the Beta was even more stable and lighter than the final version!

I kept complaining here that my internet is slower and fily copy operations were slow but I was asked for proof...well here is before and AFTER of copying a big file from my HDD to my external USB 3.0 1 TB Western Digital Driver

Without NOD32 installed I get around 100 to 110 MB/S

With NOD32 installed I get between 30 to 40 MB/S

I have the latest Windows 8.1 updates, NOD32 v7.0.302.26 (x64) done on a clean Windows 8.1 installation with no previous AV present

Someone please tell ESET that when you try to improve something that was perfectly fine so much, you end up fuxoring up the product!

Last good NOD32 I've used was really NOD32 v4, after that, each version kept getting heavier

and what's ironic is, my Kaspersky Internet Security which was known to be the heaviest AV/Internet Security in the world, is wayyyy lighter than NOD32 and I don't face these performance issues with it

I cannot prove how slow my internet is but using Pale Moon without NOD32, when I click on a bookmark icon from the bookmarks toolbar, the page loads instantly, after NOD32 is installed, when I click on an icon, Pale Moon sits there for 3 to 5 seconds before it decides to visit the page! go figure ESET! The Funny thing is that I only have NOD32 installed! god knows what ESS users suffer from or maybe they just don't realize how fast their system/internet CAN be without ESS

and please ESET fanboys, don't jump at me telling it's my system I'm a professional system tweaker and perfectionist that I create an image using Macrim Reflect before installing anything major so I can roll back if something bad happens

post-1272-0-25237600-1390077270_thumb.png

post-1272-0-25153200-1390077272_thumb.png

Edited by Tweak Arena

• Administrators

A file is scanned only after it's been fully copied to a destination location and the handle is closed by the application that opened the file for writing. What's more, avi files are not scanned and only little data is read by ekrn.

Please upload the file to a safe location and pm me the download link so that I can test it with the very same file as you.

bro that file is just an example, I can confirm that this happens with ANY large file I copy.

The concept you mentioned sounds great, and I wish it worked that way, but in reality, I am seeing a huge difference when copying large files and I can tell you it's every single file because my torrents usually download to my downloads folder which is on the local HDD in the laptop, I then move them always from the HDD to the external USB drive so I know for a fact this is the case for every single large file.

Why don't you while having NOD32 installed and running try to grab a large video file from your HDD and copy it to an external USB 3.0 HDD and see for yourself

And in this example, it is opposite to what you are saying, because as we see the NERO Content pack was being copied at 100+ MB/S and the video file copied at around 40 MB/S

if what you said was true, then the video file should have copied at least at the same speed or near if not faster than the NERO file since the video file should not be scanned until it is fully copied to the destination.

so why am I seeing a difference? and what about the slow internet browsing?

This remind me of the old days of when you installed Kaspersky Internet Security and your web browsing speed crawled to death

Edited by Tweak Arena

This is just my experience. I don't see any resource hogging and I have Nod32 on 4 computers.

I'm sure that many share this experience.

It can't be just me that is so fortunate.

Alright big tits....maybe it will go faster if you try to copy a file named Cruisin For Small Tits, I figure if the tits are smaller it may go faster.  :unsure:

Ok to be a bit more serious, for the 10'th time -> I have a stone age old PC, it's old, slow, and I swear and stare at it several times a day because it thinks I have the whole time in the world it's like a cow munching on grass digesting very slowly. BUT even so, I do not have the speed problem with the browser you're mentioning, I have never had to wait 2-5 seconds until a browser starts to load new content because of ESET. I have had to wait many times of course but that is because the website itself has been so slow, badly coded, full of ads and whatever else. But that is to be expected on a system this old that's not built to handle the heavy web 2010+ so I won't and I can't blame ESET for that. Adobe Flash Player is also one of the biggest (but still necessary unfortunately) resource hog among the plugins in the browser. I have not used Palemoon, but if you can start the browser without any plugins loaded (like one can with IE) then try that and see if you still have the delay.

I really wonder why most people with newer and much faster computers than me are the ones who usually post the "performance issue report".

Perhaps I should keep this old munching thing forever or else I may get performance problems with a new computer too  :unsure:

Bottom line is, if ESET is "heavy" and have become "heavier" with each version like you experience, then ESET would be A LOT more heavy on my PC than it is on yours thanks to the much much older hardware and little RAM so I would literally not be able to use the PC at all. But I am.

I would submit logs and work with ESET on this so they can analyze and possibly find the cause for the slowness and fix it, if it indeed is a problem somewhere.

Looks like you use Win8/8.1, IMO Win8 is still very young with small issues here and there so it's possible the problem to the slowness is in the OS, yes you may not have it with Kaspersky but Kaspersky is a different app so it doesn't work the same way in the OS as ESET or any other app. Would be interesting to see if you would feel the same slowness in Win7 too.

The first is obviously a joke to ease up a bit in here  :)

Edited by SweX

Tweak Arena...You don't have Advanced Heuristics enabled for real-time scanning do you?

AH for real-time scanning is disabled by default. But enabled for "on execution" by default of course.

Tweak Arena...You don't have Advanced Heuristics enabled for real-time scanning do you?

AH for real-time scanning is disabled by default. But enabled for "on execution" by default of course.

no bro all settings on default except I removed the start up scan on every reboot and kept the start up file system scan on each successful update

On Windows 7 this slowness is not there but I am forced to use Windows 8.1 on this laptop due to buggy drivers in Windows 7 from ASUS

Regarding addons on Pale Moon, all I have is Ad Block Edge which is a lighter version of AdBlock Plus, LastPass, and XMARKS, the problem is not in the addons as the slowness only happens when I install NOD32 not because of any addons.

Check the specs of my laptop man:

ASUS G750JX-CV050H

CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.

Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM

Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM

Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD

Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen

32 GB of ram in a laptop ?
Hahaha

Must know why i was laughing ;)

It's overkill. Server's running IIS, SQL, Sharepoint, and WSUS don't even consume that much.

Edited by Arakasi

Hahaha

slightly off-topic

Arakasi, your reply is not helpful - please have a look at the specs of the laptop: hxxp://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/#specifications

The site clearly states, that 32 GB RAM is the maximum RAM possible.

thank you

Hahaha

slightly off-topic

Arakasi, your reply is not helpful - please have a look at the specs of the laptop: hxxp://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/#specifications

The site clearly states, that 32 GB RAM is the maximum RAM possible.

thank you

yes I've reported his irrelevant post to this thread. The laptop comes with 24 GB by default so I added another 8 GB stick to make use of Dual Channel Memory across all channels rather than just the first 2 DIMMs . It was operating in the new Intel Flex Mode which makes the first 2 SODIMMS run @ Dual Channel memory speed and the 3rd SODIMM at Single Rate channel. So I added another identical RAM SODIMM to have dual channel across all channels.

And why do you care Araksi? I'm surprised by your response. This is a gaming laptop after all

I've just purchased a 2 year license for Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus as reviews say it's the lightest and has taken the throne of the lightest AV from ESET.

Hope ESET does something or they will start losing customers very fast

no idea,

I could care less what you think.

Tweak ,

You rarely say anything good or constructive in these forums.

You always use vulgar language and you are very unprofessional.

You have never said anything good about ESET or its software.

I was going to test your bogus accusations on file transfer and re-post here, but that is off my table now, its not worth it.

Good luck to you and webroot.

Requesting a mod shut this thread down, there is nothing good or constructive in it.

Let's move on.

And by move on , to customers who actually need some assistance, which is what these forums are for.

Not slander by Tweak Arena.

no idea,

I could care less what you think.

Tweak ,

You rarely say anything good or constructive in these forums.

You always use vulgar language and you are very unprofessional.

You have never said anything good about ESET or its software.

I was going to test your bogus accusations on file transfer and re-post here, but that is off my table now, its not worth it.

Good luck to you and webroot.

Requesting a mod shut this thread down, there is nothing good or constructive in it.

Let's move on.

And by move on , to customers who actually need some assistance, which is what these forums are for.

Not slander by Tweak Arena.

like you say anything useful Mr. blind ESET fanboy.

I am a fair person, if a product does well, I post good threads about it on all forums. But the fact is, NOD32 v7 has been the buggest NOD32 in history and the heaviest. if you don't face the issues I am facing, 1) good for you OR 2) you may have not did any comparisons to see

anyway, since you don't like me, please refraine from entering or posting in my threads

I post a thread about the AV then you come here like a child saying "32 GB on a laptop? hehehe" what a kid

Edited by Tweak Arena

• Administrators

Please refrain from mutual personal attacks and stick to the topic. It's a matter of fact that:

- Tweak Arena has run into a weird issue that we must attempt to reproduce on our end. The issue doesn't occur with Windows 7 but for some reason Tweak Arena is encountering it with Windows 8 although ESET doesn't scan files during file transfer / copying.

- V7 has been the most stable version that has ever been released. All users but a few persons claim otherwise which is understandable if they run into an issue even if v7 has been running fine with low system footprint for millions of other users.

Tweak Arena, if you still have v7 installed, please try disabling real-time protection and let us know if it makes a difference. Real-time protection is the only protection module that would attempt to scan a file after it's been copied. So far you've tried uninstalling EAV but we'd need to narrow it down to the particular module, especially if we won't be able to reproduce it in our environment.

Throughput Testing with ESET AV version 7.0

Clean install of Windows 8.1

(not clean install ) Windows 7 testing as well, with & without ESET AV installed.

_ h ttp://www. sendspace. com/file/ 657wrk

Will need to build the URL manually. Noticed PUcontent during setup of file hosting.

"Click here to start download from sendspace" is the good direct link.

My apologies to Tweak Arena, never once did i say i didn't like you. Just don't appreciate your slander.

This last post is to give readers some additional research to observe and compare.

Edited by Arakasi

@Tweak Arena.

You'll be fine with Webroot, it's 99% cloud based unlike most other AV's, the new web protection browser "extention" has been a bit slow for some users but they're working on it, though Palemoon is not on the list of supported browsers afaik, and of course if you need help with Webroot then you'll need to go to their forum community.

But I rather see you work with ESET (see Marcos reply above) on the issue and and least give them a chance to pinpoint the problem and possibly fix this for you once and for all. Clearly the notebook is not underpowered so ESET should run fine without any issues what so ever. 

Work with ESET and submit logs, dumps (if requested to do so), possibly even do a remote session if that's what it takes. 

Edited by SweX

I've given up already and switched to webroot, it's like I bought a new PC, 0 performance impact.

I use Pale Moon so no browser extension for me

I bought the AV only not the firewall

my system acts as if there is no AV!! PERFECT

this thread can be closed. awaiting NOD32 v8 hope it reverts back to what it once was, a light decent AV that works

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

Hello,

As my colleague Marcos noted, ESET will investigate the issue reported by Tweak Arena.  However, given Tweak Arena's information about the operating environment being tweaked, it may not be an easy issue to reproduce, since non-standard operating system and application settings, registry entries and other values can change how an operating system and the applications on top of it perform by quite a bit.  Once all of that is understood, though, it should follow a predictable path towards being resolved.  So, I would like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and their willingness to work with ESET in providing additional system details, help troubleshoot the issue, send in logs and so forth.

Lastly, on a personal note, having 32GB of RAM in a notebook computer isn't so much a big deal: I have 32GB in my desktop replacement notebook and 16GB in my netbook at home.  RAM is one of those things which is usually heavily discounted during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday holiday shopping season, after all.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have not tweakd this installation of Windows 8.1 at all. all latest drivers were used.

Another issue I was able to reproduce

Go to Spades

login with a microsoft account

try to play a game, notice how choppy the card motion is with NOD32 installed. Before the installation of NOD32 the motion was liquid smooth.

Now that I am using Webroot SecureAnywhere AV, I don't suffer from th choppiness / jerkiness anymore

I am sorry that I had to take this decision, ESET's latest offering left me no choice.

MY system is so fast now with WSA AV I feel like I bought a new laptop

To confirm that it's not just me or my system, here is the latest AV Test results for November/Dec 2013

ESET beaten by even by even the heaviest AVs out there, pure suckage from ESET v7

hxxp://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/novdec-2013/

• Administrators

We've made a comprehensive test of copying large avi files to an external USB 3.0 HDD on Windows 8.1 x64 but didn't find any difference in speed which was always about 111 MB/s regardless of whether v7 (with default settings) was installed or not. Did you have the hard disk connected to the computer during a boot or you connected it when Windows was already started?

We've made a comprehensive test of copying large avi files to an external USB 3.0 HDD on Windows 8.1 x64 but didn't find any difference in speed which was always about 111 MB/s regardless of whether v7 (with default settings) was installed or not. Did you have the hard disk connected to the computer during a boot or you connected it when Windows was already started?

that external HDD is connected all the time

As you may have noticed, this report is

- for Security suites ( not just AV)

- and 8.1. related only.

As this threat relates to NOD32 AV would you be able to point to AV-only results?

I couldn't agree more with the OP.  I still use version 4 on Windows 7 because it's sleek, light, and never lets me down or interferes with what I'm doing.  I tried both 5 and 6 and had nothing but problems.  Both of them seemed to always enter game mode for no reason, and I noticed a definite resource crunch when using them.  I ran 7 for a day and hated the new icon as well as the performance impact.

• Administrators

I couldn't agree more with the OP.  I still use version 4 on Windows 7 because it's sleek, light, and never lets me down or interferes with what I'm doing.  I tried both 5 and 6 and had nothing but problems.  Both of them seemed to always enter game mode for no reason, and I noticed a definite resource crunch when using them.  I ran 7 for a day and hated the new icon as well as the performance impact.

What kind of performance impact do you mean? V7 should be the lightest version since v1/v2 thanks to Smart optimization and LiveGrid. If there's a performance issue, we'll be happy to assist you with troubleshooting it. The OP has been probably the only person to have reported a performance issue so far but it couldn't be reproduced and all other users are happy with the performance of v7.