NOD32 update

novice

Hello,

NOD 32 can update at "user logon" (I had to manually check this option in scheduler.....Why?) however , doesn't display this info on main screen, after logon (says "Last update 12 h ago")

On "update screen", the info is correct (Last successful update 5:20PM) and  if I click "Check for updates" , will check and display "Last successful check for updates 5:50PM."

At the same time the info on main screen will be updated to "last update:29 min ago" from "last update 12 h ago"  (see picture)

Questions:

1, Why "update at logon " is disabled by default???

2.Why the main screen doesn't display the accurate "last update" time?

3. When I point the mouse on ESET icon on taskbar , I get the version number (which changes several times per year, maybe). Wouldn't be more useful to get "last update time"????

Thanks!

update.jpg

2 hours ago, itman said:

It isn't. You must have somehow disabled it.

Just installed it on 2 different PC, download from ESET website, default config; "update at logon" was disabled on both PC's.

Edited by novice

4 hours ago, novice said:

When I point the mouse on ESET icon on taskbar , I get the version number (which changes several times per year, maybe). Wouldn't be more useful to get "last update time"????

Where have you been for the past 6-8 months or so?:D The last update information (as in the ESET icon in the taskbar) has not been available since late v10 or early v11. That is old news.

As far as the other issue you cite, concerning update at log in, in the scheduler, I do believe it to be enabled in default along with an additional update scheduled for update after a dial up connection is established.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

7 hours ago, TomFace said:

Where have you been for the past 6-8 months or so?:D 

Well, I tried all the other AVs on the market, but I have to say that ESET is the one which fits the best my needs.

The last update information (as in the ESET icon in the taskbar) has not been available since late v10 or early v11. That is old news.

Old news, but don't you think is more useful to see if ESET updated rather then the version????

concerning update at log in, in the scheduler, I do believe it to be enabled in default 

Well, as I said, I installed on 2 PC's , direct download from ESET and did not update on log in. So, I checked the scheduler and that option was disabled.

As far as this goes: 

Why "update at logon " is disabled by default???  

It is enabled by default in Internet Security. It might not be for NOD32. So I would create a support request and report it as a bug to Eset.

Also for Internet Security when the update at logon occurs, the Eset GUI startup screen does show that the update occurred; i.e. Last Update xx minutes ago, if with the current hour.

6 hours ago, novice said:

Old news, but don't you think is more useful to see if ESET updated rather then the version????

Well, as I said, I installed on 2 PC's , direct download from ESET and did not update on log in. So, I checked the scheduler and that option was disabled.

Yes, I do agree that seeing the last update (in the task bar icon) would be helpful. That suggestion should be submitted to the requested "Future Changes" thread. And as itman said, the update option being disabled "might" be a big in NOD32, so a tbl ticket might be in order. I use EIS.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

1, Update at logon has always been disabled by default:
image.png

image.png

2, "That suggestion should be submitted to the requested "Future Changes" thread."  That's not really needed. This information was removed intentionally since the version of the detection engine doesn't matter much nowadays in the era of LiveGrid and streamed updates.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

1, Update at logon has always been disabled by default:

I still believe there is a bug in NOD32. Notice in the screen shot you posted, the like dial-up option is enabled instead. Virtually no one uses a dial-up connection these days.

35 minutes ago, galaxy said:

@itman You do a great job that I just want to praise and ... thank you for all the help. Nice that you are so actively helping here. Thank you

You're welcome. 

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

This information was removed intentionally since the version of the detection engine doesn't matter much nowadays in the era of LiveGrid and streamed updates.

I was referring to an info like" Last update xx min ago" , not the version number of the detection engine; displaying the ESET version is not an info which is supposed to be readily accessible (could be buried deep in settings) , but to know when your antivirus last updated , yes.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Update at logon has always been disabled by default:

And why is that? I do not think there is an user who doesn't want his antivirus NOT to update ASAP after log on.

And what is this "Automatic update after dial-up connection"???? I do not know anyone with a dial-up connection  these days...What if I do not have a dial-up and I have a cable???

Thanks!

3 hours ago, galaxy said:

You do a great job that I just want to praise and ... thank you for all the help. Nice that you are so actively helping here. Thank you

What about me???????

The "Open ESET...." screen still doesn't correctly display the last update time (says 12h ago) , while the  "update" screen says the correct time, see picture:

update1.jpg

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, novice said:

The "Open ESET...." screen still doesn't correctly display the last update time (says 12h ago) , while the  "update" screen says the correct time, see picture:

update1.jpg

Does this "time difference" issue only happen when you "manually" update from the update tab in the GUI and keep that tab open then compare time ??
If so , click on the home tab in the GUI and then go back to the update tab and see if the last update time changes ;)  (xx hours ago)

3 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Does this "time difference" issue only happen when you "manually" update from the update tab in the GUI and keep that tab open then compare time ??
If so , click on the home tab in the GUI and then go back to the update tab and see if the last update time changes ;)  (xx hours ago)

No, it happens when automatically updates at log on; however, if I go back and forth between screens, the last update time changes to ta correct value.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, novice said:

And why is that? I do not think there is an user who doesn't want his antivirus NOT to update ASAP after log on.

There is a default task "Regular automatic update" which is run when the systems starts. There's usually no need to run another update when the gui starts.

And what is this "Automatic update after dial-up connection"???? I do not know anyone with a dial-up connection  these days...What if I do not have a dial-up and I have a cable??? 

You might be surprised but there are still rural areas where dial-up is used by quite many people. Also when using DLS, one needs to connect first when the system starts which is also detected as a dial-up connection.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, novice said:

What about me???????

And what about you? Me thinks your reputation precedes you. Just 2 examples.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/17408-can-eset-also-take-advantage-of-microsoft-av-sandboxing/?do=findComment&comment=86293

and

https://forum.eset.com/topic/16831-ransomware-protection-improvements/?do=findComment&comment=83181

"Praise is warming and desirable. But it is an earned thing. It has to be deserved, like a hug from a child." Phyllis McGinley  

A suggestion...try being part of the community.

It's your choice.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

There is a default task "Regular automatic update" which is run when the systems starts. There's usually no need to run another update when the gui starts.

You might be surprised but there are still rural areas where dial-up is used by quite many people. Also when using DLS, one needs to connect first when the system starts which is also detected as a dial-up connection.

Marcos, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is DLS? Did you mean DSL?

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TomFace said:

Marcos, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is DLS? Did you mean DSL?

Of course : ) It was just a typo.

Well, a DSL connection, Ethernet or wireless is established as soon a Windows network connection is establish as part of the Windows boot process. Now there are a few routers that actual do have a type of DSL "dial up" network capability. A while back I had a Netopia commercial grade router that had that option along with some other neat stuff like honeypot capability. 

I also have a Eset signature update issue. When I log off of Windows for an extended period of time and then log back in, Eset does indeed check for updates. However, I receive no update. Nor is one served up if I check manually. I has been 5 hours since my last sig. update. That doesn't seem right to me.