Automatic creation of folder by email in mail client

Bordonbert

Hi.  I run ESET Internet Security which is kept up to date and permanently running.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird mail client managing accounts with Hotmail and Clara.

I have just come on to my PC to check emails and found two new ones from Banggood.  This is not unusual as I occasionally use them for oddities so don't blacklist them.  What was odd and worrying is that these emails showed up in a brand new folder called "Black Friday".  I did not create this nor did my wife who is the only other potential user.  This folder and both of the emails were listed in bold showing they had not been accessed so no link or attachment had been activated.

I also found a Rule in Thunderbird to move all emails with "Black Friday" in their subject into a "Black Friday" folder.  I wondered if I had set this up in the past to deal with the plethora of BF emails I receive around this time and had deleted the folder which was being recreated when a new one arrived and the rule tried to fulfil its task.   I honestly can't remember doing that but it could be a possibility so I tested that with a new rule and a deleted folder.  No dice.  When an email arrives to be routed into a folder which does not exist Thunderbird opens a warning dialogue to tell me and puts the email in the root folder for that account.  No luck there!

Can anyone envisage a way it is possible for an email to create a brand new folder in this way?  If it is then it worries me somewhat as I had believed that it would be impossible without some sort of scripting being activated.

Is there anything else I can do to find out what has been responsible for this?

Edited by Bordonbert
(OCD with spelling and grammar)

• Administrators

Personally I don't use Thunderbird but theoretically it could be that Thunderbird itself or the integrated spam filter has been updated and now moves Black friday-related emails to the special folder.

The folder did not exist yesterday though Marcos and has been created by this process which is the worrying thing.  I definitely had no Black Friday folder prior to these emails arriving and they were the only two new emails when I checked the PC.  It also showed up as "unaccessed" by being there in Bold the same as the emails.

My thought was that perhaps the Thunderbird rule was capable of recreating the missing folder when it was triggered.  The Spam filter in Thunderbird shows no references either black or white to Banggood.  There are no cookies stored which relate to Banggood.  It isn't even in my address book which could be relevant as I have the "Do not automatically mark as junk if sender is in Personal Address Book" box ticked.

41 minutes ago, Bordonbert said:

Can anyone envisage a way it is possible for an email to create a brand new folder in this way? 

I use ThunderBird and have the latest version 63 installed.

I just opened it up and have no "Black Friday" folder being shown. I also have no Thunderbird spam settings enabled other than the default ones.

I would direct your concerns to the Mozilla Thunderbird forum.

• Administrators

I would also try logging in to your mailbox via the web interface and check if the folder is not already created on the mail server.

Thanks Itman, I've asked that now and the guys over there at Mozilla are aware of it too and pondering.

I've also checked whether there is a Black Friday folder on the server as you suggested Marcos, I'm afraid there isn't.  While I was logged in via the web interface I took the original Banggood email which was still there and forwarded it on to myself again.  It came through and opened the dialogue box with the warning about no folder being present and simply posted itself in the root Inbox.  This is beginning to look like "user error" in some way though it mystifies me how I could set up that folder, set up the rule, then forget about them.  And also not spot it in my day to day email management.  I don't have a plethora of folders to confuse me and it was immediately visible within the Inbox folder.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I can sleep sound at nights knowing that Banggood hasn't found a way of controlling my communications.  Sorry it turned out to be a non-solvable non-issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Je me suis demandé si j’avais  Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime déjà mis cela  en place pour gérer l’abondance de messages BF que j’entends à ce moment-là et effacé l’enveloppe qui était reproduite lorsqu’une autre est arrivée et que la norme s’efforçait de remplir sa mission. Je ne me rappelle sincèrement pas avoir fait cela, mais cela pourrait être une vraisemblance. J'ai donc essayé avec une autre norme et une enveloppe effacée.

Edited by ISHOULI

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ISHOULI said:

i  thought about whether I had set this up in the past to manage the plenty of BF messages I get around this time and had erased the envelope which was being reproduced when another one arrived and the standard endeavored to satisfy its assignment. I sincerely can't recall doing that however it could be a plausibility so I tried that with another standard and an erased envelope

Unfortunately I can't figure out what you wanted to say. I'd recommend contacting your local customer care to communicate in your mother tongue.