Eset ShellExperienceHost.exe Windows.UI.ActionCenter.dll, Exception code: 0xc0000409

x7007

Hi,

Since using Eset with Windows 1809 it started showing on the Event Viewer always the same error.  I just uninstalled Eset to test something and as soon as I installed it back again the error came back . exactly when eset finished installing the error showed up.   There is not really anything that crashing or showing anything that closed unresponsively but this error always show up only with eset installed.  it happened also with version 11 I think but with all 12 versions.  using latest version at the moment

Can you check and fix it ?

Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x5b9c8bd8
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.ActionCenter.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x5b9c576b
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000008fbaf
Faulting process id: 0x1e6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d478ac9ddfad7f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\ShellExperiences\Windows.UI.ActionCenter.dll
Report Id: 192f2d33-268e-4da6-b7a3-1e3a8f3666bd
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.17763.1_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

• 1 month later...

Same issue here. It seems there is a compatibility bug with latest windows 1809. Tested on 3 windows 10 pro ver. 1809 computers with the latest eset version 12.0.31.0. The crash in ShellExperienceHost mostly happens when temporary disable and then enable eset or randomly when action center shows any message. Also when eset is disabled when clicking on windows message in notification center to enable, eset does not auto enable. The crash also showing in reliability monitor. I have temporarily unistall eset antivirus until the bug is fixed.

Edited by horion70
typo error

8 hours ago, horion70 said:

Same issue here. It seems there is a compatibility bug with latest windows 1809. Tested on 3 windows 10 pro ver. 1809 computers with the latest eset version 12.0.31.0. The crash in ShellExperienceHost mostly happens when temporary disable and then enable eset or randomly when action center shows any message. Also when eset is disabled when clicking on windows message in notification center to enable, eset does not auto enable. The crash also showing in reliability monitor. I have temporarily unistall eset antivirus until the bug is fixed.

Eset can u fix this please? it happened also with ver 11 eset common... 

Edited by x7007

This issue is a mystery to me since I am running Win 10 x(64) and EIS 12.0.31 w/o such problem.

I suspect this might be related to how the Win 10 1809 upgrade was performed? I performed the upgrade by doing an in-place upgrade from 1803 using a prior 1809 .iso file downloaded using the MediaCreator tool.

I would suggest opening an admin level command prompt window and run this command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

This will run for a while and will fix any system issues it finds with your 1809 build.

10 minutes ago, itman said:

This issue is a mystery to me since I am running Win 10 x(64) and EIS 12.0.31 w/o such problem.

I suspect this might be related to how the Win 10 1809 upgrade was performed? I performed the upgrade by doing an in-place upgrade from 1803 using a prior 1809 .iso file downloaded using the MediaCreator tool.

I would suggest opening an admin level command prompt window and run this command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

This will run for a while and will fix any system issues it finds with your 1809 build.

I did all the dism commands. it didnt fix the issue.  maybe you don't leave ur computer 24/7?  my computer is staying on all the times. 

No. Dism commands or repair doesn't help, computer does not need to staying on all the time. it happens randomly.This is clearly a bug, maybe something change in the latest eset updates. this also happens on a fresh win install, tested on different pc. Further testing with other av or the default win defender this error does not occur.

16 hours ago, horion70 said:

The crash in ShellExperienceHost mostly happens when temporary disable and then enable eset

Just tried to duplicate this on Win 10 x(64) 1809 w/EIS 12.0.31 installed.

When I tried to disable Eset, I get what is shown in the below screen shot:

Eset_Disable.thumb.png.b26cffb4764345eb5cb27d02d375bdaf.png

Never ever saw anything remotely similar to this on any prior version of Eset I have installed. Also, the date of last threat detection in my Eset corresponding log file is 12/21.

Edited by itman

8 hours ago, horion70 said:

This warning appears until you clear the log. Maybe its a new feature. You can still click apply to disable the protection.

Interestingly today when I went to pause Eset protection, I received the normal alert with specification on how long to pause for. So it appears, my posted screen shot is a one-time thing.

Anyway, I paused Eset w/o issue. No ShellExperienceHost.exe crash or anything else for that matter. So I can't duplicate the issue on my Win 10 x(64) 1809 build w/EIS 12.0.61 installed.

Again, this ver. of Eset was installed on 1803 when I upgraded to 1809. What is a fact is I had multiple failures trying to upgrade to 1809 via Win Updates download. What I finally did was disable Virtualization in my BIOS settings which in turn disabled Core Isolation in 1803. I then did an in-place upgrade to 1809 as previously described. What I can state is as a result of this in-place upgrade, 1809 has been running w/o issue. In fact, it has been the most problem free Win 10 upgrade I have done to date.  

Edited by itman

This is a long shot suggestion but the process crashing activity might be related to a known 1809 bug in which desktop notifications are not working after the 1809 upgrade. This would be more the case if you are no longer receiving any Win notifications after the 1809 upgrade. If this is the case, you could try this fix: https://pureinfotech.com/fix-action-center-notifications-not-working-windows-10-1809/ or Google search for other fix suggestions.

The missing desktop notifications was really the only issue I encountered after upgrading to 1809, and the above posted link fix worked for me.

Edited by itman

@itman

Thank you very much for the reply.

I can finally confirm, after extensive tests that this is NOT an eset issue.

The crash happens even without any av installed. It is a windows 1809 bug only.

• 3 weeks later...

That was not the fixed.

I've found the issue was with the Windows Software Protection service .  It's something with the windows activation .  If you are using non legit windows and some "activation" softwares then if it doesn't activate the windows properly it is causing this . that why many other people doesn't have this issue cause they have legit or using other kinds of activation .    When I activated the windows properly I didn't have this error anymore .  This error also effect computer speed cause it's a bunch of other things with the windows activation.

I also did the background fix suggested but didn't help.

This is an entirely other bug in windows 1809 version.

I think the non-legit activation software unfortunatelly it not the cause of the bug. This bug also happens on my 3 retail legitimate windows 10 pro  pc's in rare ocassions, mostly when notification center shows a couple of messages.